I am used to Linux and I can't get Visual Studio to work right.

I have only been coding for a year now but it has all been in a plain text editor in Linux.

I have Visual Studio 2008 express and installed the C++ version but it seems to have different syntax.

I uploaded a few programs I finished but when I go to compile I get weird errors.

Is there something you are supposed to declare or include before you compile? Also are you able to use something similar to a makefile since my recent programs span several files.

Thanks.

P.S. - If there is a way to use a compiler similar to GCC on WIndows 7 64-bit that would be better since I like to use makefiles to compile with.
I think someone post before. Choose the Console Application project options. Include all the standard C/C++ header file.

As for makefile, I believe VC++ shipped it's version called nmake.exe ? Try nmake /? to see the options. In general the makefile syntax should be similar but as you know about M$ they tend to deviate a bit and even add in their own proprietary extensions sometimes.

As for compile, I believe VC++ uses cl.exe Try cl /? to see the options.

Please note I long time no touch VC++ so above maybe wrong so just test it with a pinch of salt.
OK, that sounds about right. I actually decided to try out code::blocks and I really like it. I figured out how to make a console project to upload all my files to and it will run but there is a small problem.

For example, I uploaded a Waypoint program that reads in waypoints from a file included in the project and it does stuff to them.

Even though it loaded the waypoints file in my project under "other" the program itself isn't reading from it since when I select the print waypoints option it doesn't print them out.

I know the program works so it's something with code::blocks. Am I supposed to rename the extention to something specific?

My next program involves creating a linked list and printing it out to certain files so I'd like to be able to fully test it on code::blocks.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.