Use ActiveX without registration

Hi!
My app uses one ActiveX and I don't want to register it under WinXP. Is it possible to use ActiveX without registration?
Thanks!
The COM subsystem cannot create the object if it's not registered.
My guess is yes, as I've routinely done it with non-visual COM objects. Because of the different definitions of ActiveX, that might be true of yours.

The Windows component that loads COM ob jects is SCM (pronounced scum), which is the Service Control Manager. What that component does is look up the CLSID of the object in the registry, from which it obtains the path to the exe/dll/ocx object. It then does a LoadLibrary() on the object (which would be a dll in the case of an ActiveX object), and then it does a GetProcAddress() call on DllGetClassObject() in the dll, which is an exported function of every ledgitimate COM object. From there it obtains an interface pointer on the IClassFactory interface, from which it can instantiate te object. If you are interested in seeing code as to how its all done I'll provide links.

If its an ActiveX control, my guess is still yes, but I'd have to give it some thought, as I don't believe I've ever done that. I'd need to think it through.
Last edited on
You can "cheat" registration with BoxedApp SDK ( http://boxedapp.com/ )
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.