Too many WM_PAINT

Hi.

My application is getting some ridiculous amount of WM_PAINT messages. I made the program outup to a file the messages on the message loop, and I'm getting something like 20 paint messages each 10 miliseconds.

First of all, I'm using OpenGL and the Windows API in C.

I was trying to use PeekMessage to do some kind of "idle" function, but the queue never gets empty. I've already tried removing WM_PAINT from my WndProc, but it still keeps dispatching the endless paint messages.

I know it may be hard to tell without seeing the code, but I'm looking for some tips to what can be causing this.
Please provide your PeekMessage loop, your WndProc method and the constructor to your window.
Message loop:

MSG msg;
running = true;

do
{
	while(PeekMessage(&msg, hWnd, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE))
	{
		TranslateMessage(&msg);
		DispatchMessage(&msg);
	}
	// idle function here
} while(running);

WndProc is a big switch that transfers each message to a specific function (like WM_PAINT to onPaint). I've already tried removing all case clauses and leaving "case WM_PAINT" empty, but that didn't work.

What do you mean by "constructor to your window"?
You're not validating the window.

There are two ways to do this. The best way is with BeginPaint() and EndPaint()

// this is from memory -- I might be wrong on some details...
case WM_PAINT:
  PAINTSTRUCT ps;
  HDC dc = BeginPaint(hwnd,&ps);

// do drawing to 'dc' here -- or don't

EndPaint(hwnd,&ps);
  break;

Do this even if you don't do any drawing to the DC.

If you are drawing to the DC, don't use GetDC()/ReleaseDC() from WM_PAINT
Thanks, that solved my problem. I'm really becoming a fan of this forum, people always helped me much faster than I expected. Thanks again.

But just to make sure I'm doing this right: I added that to my onPaint function and the window stopped drawing its content (because I'm not invalidating it, right?). So, I used my idle function (that now works) and a timer to invalidate it at 10 miliseconds intervals, and now everything works fine.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.