Serious problem, 2 days still cannot figure it out

Hey!

Sorry i re-posted but i thought windows programming would better suit this problem

Here's my problem.

Say i have the address:

0x00000000 (The address im trying to change is this long.)

now heres what i do.

DWORD dw, dw2;
VirtualProtect((PVOID)0x00000000, sizeof(0x00000000), PAGE_EXECUTE_READWRITE, &dw);
strcpy((PCHAR)0x00000000, "DR2MP");
VirtualProtect((PVOID)0x00000000, sizeof(0x00000000), dw, &dw2);

I've also tried:

HANDLE hProcessSnap;
    HANDLE hProcess = NULL;
	PROCESSENTRY32 pe32; 

hProcessSnap = CreateToolhelp32Snapshot(TH32CS_SNAPPROCESS, 0);
    pe32.dwSize = sizeof(PROCESSENTRY32);
    Process32First(hProcessSnap, &pe32);
    do
    {          
        if(!strcmp(pe32.szExeFile, "deadrising2.exe"))
        {
             hProcess = OpenProcess(PROCESS_ALL_ACCESS, FALSE, pe32.th32ProcessID);
             break;
        }
    }
    while(Process32Next(hProcessSnap, &pe32));
    CloseHandle(hProcessSnap);
    if(hProcess != NULL)
    {
        WriteProcessMemory(hProcess, (void *)0x00000000, "DR2MP", sizeof(0x00000000), NULL);        
        CloseHandle(hProcess);    
        return true;
    }

I'm trying to set the address:

0x1C9B57B3

which is the text of a button in a game, I've injected my .dll and it works, i just cannot change the text, i can change it in cheat engine, and it changes to DR2MP perfectly. fyi in CheatEngine it's text[15].

So does anyone know how i can possibly set this addresses value to DR2MP?

I have seriously tried so many options it's just not funny anymore, im deadbeat on ideas.

Thank you!
Last edited on
Hello Ravskie,

still not enough information...

so let me guess what you want to do. hm, you want to find a window (in another process?) and change it's text?
As far as i know button is a window. so why don't you use the FindWindow() function and then using SetWindowText() to change the text?

if you really want to access the memory of another process this http://www.woodmann.com/fravia/natz_mp2.htm might help

just out of curiosity. how do you come to that address?
The first code-snippet you posted should work fine if you've already injected a DLL into the target process.. what do you mean it isn't working? Is it crashing, or is the text at the address simply not changing?

static const CHAR szNewText [] = "DR2MP";
const ULONG_PTR ulTextAddress = 0x1C9B57B3;

StringCchCopy((LPTSTR) ulTextAddress, STRSAFE_MAX_CCH, szNewText);

@coder777: Since it looks like he's hacking a game, there's a chance the button in question may not be a valid window handle & thus SetWindowText might not be the best idea. Actually, I'm pretty sure the game he's trying to hack uses manually paints its controls via DirectX.
I actually managed to set the game buttons text successfully using my code with a few hefty modifications.

Actually @coder777, FindWindow() does not work when i tried it.

HWND gamewindow;
gamewindow = FindWindow(NULL, "windowname");
SetWindowText(gamewindow, "NEWWINDOWTEXT");

That doesnt work, no idea why.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.