Why can't I install C++?

Good day.

I got the "Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition with SP1" but I can't install it because when it tries to install "Net Framework 3.5 SP1" it doesn't work, always crash. I know that my windows xp service pack is 3, I think that that has something to do.

Anyway. What is the C++ that I must install in my PC? Where can I find it? I need it soon because in 2 days I'll start to program at my university and I'll need do the homework making software in my own computer.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my newbie question.
If VC++ installation crashes, try another IDE
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/7263/
The .Net framework isn't an standard part of C++, so unless you're taking a Windows programming class, you shouldn't need it...

-Albatross
I think i got that error, too. It was due to an newer Version of the .Net Framework installed. I think i got to uninstall that version, then install 3.5 SP1 and reinstall the newer Version. There was an MSDN article on it, too. And there was a download with a registry cleanup thingy.

Just look in the MSDN for help, or post at least an error Message.
Thank you guys, I fixed my trouble.
i have a problem in installing the turbo c++ 4.45 on my laptop.
it is windows 7 and a 64-bit operating system.
can you help me guys to solve my problem?
It's a way too old compiler
cursedemo, try dosbox http://www.dosbox.com/

bazzy, is there a new compiler that is compatible to 64 - bit environment?
phylter, if i install turbo c++ 4.45 in 64 - bit system type by the use of wow64, is that a good idea or is it gonna work?
phylter, can you email me the instructions in installing the turbo c++ 4.45 using dosbox?
here is my email :::: cursedemo_04@yahoo.com

phylter, can you email me the instructions in installing the turbo c++ 4.45 using dosbox?
here is my email :::: cursedemo_04@yahoo.com

AFAIK turbo C++ is for 16 bit Operating Systems
You should get MinGW for a 64 bit Windows but I think it can produce only 32 bit programs.
MinGW-w64 is a fork which can generate 64 bit binaries
You don't need .Net to run them
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Visual Studio 2010 has been out for a long time...how are people still getting the installers for 2008?
bazzy, i think turbo c++ 4.45 are for 32 - bit system types but thanks for the reply in my post..
...is it a good idea using wow64 to run that software
Wiki says that Turbo C++ 4.5 was designed for Windows 3.0
In any case, it's way too old to be used on any modern computer
I can't get .NET 3.5 to install on my computer either -- hence I also cannot get Microsoft Visual C++ Express to install. I'm on XP SP 3 as well.

Apparently this is a known issue -- .NET framework will not install on all Windows installations.

I have Borland/Embarcadero Turbo C++ Explorer -- which is nice.
I also have the GCC.
Duoas, if this is a problem of yours, read my post. I think this is the tool i used:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

Afterwards you should be able to install the .Net Frameworks in the order of their Versions. If that was successful you should be able to install MS Visual C++. I hope that helps.
I've used it.

.NET 3.5 simply won't install on my computer.

I've recently begun to learn more about the "Guest" login. I wonder if it won't install because I have that account disabled.

:-\
Here is a long thread discussing problems caused by the .Net installation http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/fd663f06-08db-4c03-b9c4-ab90b8bee66e
One guy suggests this:

I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM AND WAS GOING NUTS! I also am rumming Windows Vista 64bit on an HP Pavillion (desktop)... TRY THIS and I hope it works for you as well as it worked for me.

1.)
At "Start" type: "regedit"
click on: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Click on: SYSTEM
Click on: CurrentControlSet
Click on: Services
Click on: MSIServer

Right Click on: WOW64
Select: Modify
Change the value data from "1" to "0"

2.)
At "Start" type: "run"
Type: "services.msc"
go to: "Windows Installer" and stop and start the program.

Now reboot your computer and once it's up and running go straight to the updates and try to install your updates.

Best of Luck! Hope it runs as well for you as it did for me and seveal others.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.