Is QT = win32?

QT and WxWidgets etc, are these things the same as win32?
For coding visually?
WinAPI (Win32) is the underlying API. If you code with WinAPI, your programs will work on Windows only.

Qt and wx are higher level libraries that "sit on top of" WinAPI. On Windows, they use WinAPI underneath, but because they are higher level they can use different APIs on different platforms. So code that uses Qt or wx can be easily ported to platforms besides Windows.
Last edited on
Hmm, so QT and wxWidgets would be a better pick for programming visually?
It depends on what you're going for.

If you want portability, then yes.

If you don't care about portability and want less overhead, then working directly with WinAPI is probably better.

Personally I tend to favor portability, so I would favor Qt/wx.
And if go for easiness to learn and fast code? :p
Then you probably want Visual Basic =P

Anyway, I've never used Qt but I've heard very good things.

I have used both wx and WinAPI and I can say with confidence that coding with wx is much easier.

Although wx doesn't have as good of tools for developing forms (the resource editor in VS is much better than any of the wx form builders that I've tried). So there's a tradeoff.
VB...Isn't it very restricted? You can't do a lot with it can you? And is it related to c++?
VB...Isn't it very restricted?

Not really.

You can't do a lot with it can you?

VB.net can do anything C# can. It's just different syntax.

And is it related to c++?

Not at all.

I only brought it up because you expressed interest in RAD... which, as much as I love C++, isn't one of it's strongest areas.

But it really depends on what kind of program you're looking to make. I'm kind of taking shots in the dark here. =P
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.