Virtual Files

Can someone tell me if it would be possible to open a file which actually just exists in the RAM memory?
As an example, would it be possible to open a notepad with the sentence "hello world" from a console aplication (note that I do not want to open notepad and write in there the sentence, but, in some way, store the sentence in a vitual file VF.txt and open it though CreateProcess, for example).
Thank you in advance and kind regards.
You can get an application that would create a virtual drive from your RAM memory. This would allow you to move files onto the virtual drive. However, don't forget ram is volatile.

Otherwise, you cannot create a file and store it in RAM because RAM doesn't have a valid file system for something like notepad to read from.
OK, I see this is not the right way.
I am quite new in c++ programming and even more in Windows Programming so, maybe, if I explain you my problem you could give me any advice or any idea about how to solve it.
Basically I have to pass some data which I generate in my program to an external application. This external application reads the data from a file. I do not need to save these data for any purpose beyond feeding the external application and the process of writing the file takes the mainly amount of time of my process, so I would like to know if it is possible to avoid it.
I would appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance and Kind regards.
Marcos
If you control both the sending and receiving application and can modify the code in both. Then you could use IPC (Inter-Process Communication).

But if you cannot control the receiving application. You will have to write out to a file first.
OK, thank you, I will write it then
Zaita you are actually right I'm also programming in windows I was asking I can concetrate in game development or else my email is lvandaz@hotmail.com I'll be please with any advice.thanks
JMGIC ,
I ever did last time when i talked with Micro-Visual Controller.
I need to setup/Learn about IPC Connectiob,To know more value/parameter sending .
If you need more detail let me know
Boost Library has a few different IPC methods you can use :) Quite simple too
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.