Reading Anonymous Pipes in Real-Time WinAPI

Hello everyone,

I'm working on an application which reads the output of another program (which I did not write) through anonymous pipes. Now, I have the reading working fine; the problem is doing this in real-time. I've been doing research for a little over a week and can't seem to figure out how to properly accomplish this. It normally doesn't read until the child process has returned. I will post the relevant code. Now that I have a commented line in the beginning of my code (ping 127.0.0.1 -t) which works exactly how I am looking, but this could be because the program is returning with every ping? Not entirely sure.

void Arc_Redirect::createProcesses()
{
	//TCHAR programName[]=TEXT("ping 127.0.0.1 -t");
	TCHAR programName[]=TEXT("Hola.exe");
	PROCESS_INFORMATION pi; 
	STARTUPINFO si;

ZeroMemory(&pi, sizeof(PROCESS_INFORMATION));
	ZeroMemory(&si, sizeof(STARTUPINFO));
	si.cb = sizeof(STARTUPINFO); 
	si.hStdError = outStd[0].hOutWrite;
	si.hStdOutput = outStd[0].hOutWrite;
	si.hStdInput = outStd[0].hInRead;
	si.dwFlags = STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW|STARTF_USESTDHANDLES;

if(!CreateProcess(NULL,programName,NULL,NULL,TRUE,0,NULL,NULL,&si,&pi))
		throw "Error: Could not start Program!";

// Create thread
	outStd[0].hThreadRd = CreateThread(NULL,0,Arc_readPipe,(LPVOID)outStd[0].hOutRead,0,&outStd[0].threadIdRd);
	outStd[0].hThreadWr = CreateThread(NULL,0,Arc_writePipe,(LPVOID)outStd[0].hInWrite,0,&outStd[0].threadIdWr);
	if(outStd[0].hThreadRd == NULL || outStd[0].hThreadWr == NULL) throw "Error creating thread!";

// Cleanup the useless handles
	if(!CloseHandle(pi.hThread) || !CloseHandle(pi.hProcess))
		throw "Error: Could not CloseHandle();";
}

This is the class member which creates the processes. The callbacks are defined as follows. Please note I am using FindWindow() because the HWND is not defined in the global scope of this file. Also, the other callback is defined, but at the moment I am not having problems with it and would simply like to focus on this aspect right now. bRunThread is defined as a BOOL FALSE until told otherwise to terminate.

DWORD WINAPI Arc_readPipe(LPVOID threadParam)
{
	Arc_Redirect ar;
	CHAR chBuf[BUFSIZE];
	DWORD dwRead;
	HANDLE hPipe = (HANDLE)threadParam;
	HWND g1  = FindWindow("ArcGUI",NULL);
	HWND dlg = GetDlgItem(g1,IDO_WORLDOUT);

while(bRunThread)
	{
		while(TRUE)
		{
			if(!ReadFile(hPipe,chBuf,BUFSIZE,&dwRead,NULL) || !dwRead)
				if(GetLastError() == ERROR_BROKEN_PIPE)
				{
					ar.appendText(dlg,chBuf);
					memset(chBuf,0,sizeof(chBuf));
					break; // Normal exit
				} else {
					MessageBox(g1,(LPCSTR)GetLastError(),"Cannot Read!",MB_ICONWARNING);
				}

chBuf[dwRead] = '\0';
			//MessageBox(g1,"Read data","Read",MB_OK);
			if(chBuf != NULL && dwRead != 0)
			{
				ar.appendText(dlg,chBuf);
				FlushFileBuffers(hPipe);
			}
		}
	}

return 1;
}

EDIT: outStd is defined as PIPE_HANDLES (the struct below)
	typedef struct
	{
		HANDLE hOutRead;
		HANDLE hOutWrite;
		HANDLE hInRead;
		HANDLE hInWrite;
		HANDLE hProc;
		HANDLE hThreadRd;
		HANDLE hThreadWr;
		OVERLAPPED o1;
		DWORD threadIdRd;
		DWORD threadIdWr;
	} PIPE_HANDLES, *LPSTDPIPE;

Not that the is entirely relevant, just an extra bit for you guys to help with. The pipes ARE created correctly even though I do not show the creation of the pipes.

Regards,
Dennis M.
Last edited on
the problem is doing this in real-time

What do you consider real-time and what are you dong differently?

CreateThread
You can't create a thread using this and safely use the C runtime library.

// Cleanup the useless handles
The handles aren't useless. You can wait on the process handle if you want check it it's still running.
Last edited on
I would like to read the input within 5 seconds of having new information available. Right now it doesn't send anything until the program exits.
Last edited on
Within 5 seconds is hardly realtime.

If the source has buffered output, you'll have to wait until it flushes its buffer. It's possible that the data simply isn't written yet.
Is there a way to force this from my end? I wrote a sample application and it writes immediately upon starting, then it sleeps for 5 seconds and writes some more information and then exits after another sleep for 3 seconds. I don't receive information until the exit. I understand 5 secs is hardly real-time, but at this point beggars can't be choosers. I just can't wait 2mins for the output to finish before it's read on the real application.

Regards,
Dennis M.
Is there a way to force this from my end?

No.

Does the app write to stdout when you've not redirected its output? Or is there no output there either?
Which app? The child does properly write to stdout. Since it's a GUI program I haven't looked at a console stdOut for my program.
What is outStd? How is it declared and initialised?
The OP has the struct which it is declared as. It is initialized using ZeroMemory();
Don't you give it a valid handle?
Yes. outStd[0] is an array of variables. outStd[0].hReadOut is defined as HANDLE
Last edited on
Yes, but you don't actually assign a valid handle that you read. You just assign zero.
I am not entirely understanding what you are saying, I am sorry. Do you mean when I do this?

if(!CreatePipe(&outStd[0].hOutRead,&outStd[0].hOutWrite,&sa,0) || !CreatePipe(&outStd[0].hInRead,&outStd[0].hInWrite,&sa,0))
		throw "Error: Could not CreatePipe();!";

if(!SetHandleInformation(outStd[0].hOutRead,HANDLE_FLAG_INHERIT,0) || !SetHandleInformation(outStd[0].hInWrite,HANDLE_FLAG_INHERIT,0))
		throw "Error: Could not SetHandleInformation();";

I didn't include that in OP.
Take a look at this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682499(VS.85).aspx

Output is not captured until child process ends (resolved)
With some experiments, I found the output is buffered at child side's STDOUT with every 4096 bytes. So, I add a "fflush(stdout)" after printf(), the output redirect to parent without problem then.
Last edited on
I have read that from MSDN before. The problem with that is I cannot edit the child process so it can flush its stdout.
Unitl the flush occurs, the data isn't written to the stream, so there's nothing to read.

You get the same issue with tail -f. It's not aways obvious, but if you start filtering tail into a couple of greps, the output takes for ever to arrive.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.