MFC , Library issue

Hi all,
I use MFC to build GUI for my windows applications.
There's a problem that i usually come across. When i create my project with as using Use MFC in a Shared DLL my application executable becomes a file about 100-200 KB , but it doesn't work on Windows PCs which has older SDKs. That's why ,i must build my application with Use MFC in a Static Library option for gurantee that it works on most of windows pcs. Well it helps about it but , my executable file becomes about 1.5 MB - 2.5 MB .
This length is quite big, is there anyway to decrease it ?

Thanks in advance
Last edited on
I believe the are allowed to redistribute the MFC and C/CPP runtime DLLs. You could install them as required.

It's very likely that these will be required by another app (even another one of yours) at some later point.
Last edited on
Although KBW has a point, I will refer you to this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLL_Hell

Despite the name this is a very real issue and one that you should be aware of if you are going to distribute software for any Windows OS. This is only relavent in XP and older versions of Windows.
DLL Hell is mitigated somewhat with VS2005+ support of side-by-side DLL with manifests.
I thought that was something you still needed to specifically declare when you are compiling the file though. Either way it is a concern that I have found is often over looked in books and down right ignored in classrooms.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.