Can't see why fopen() isn't working

For some reason the following code isn't working. fopen always fails but I don't understand why. Is it because of the type of sourceFilename? I had been using TCHAR in the edit field but couldn't then see how to pass this into fopen.

char sourceFilename[MAX_PATH] = "";

hwndSourceFilename = CreateWindow(TEXT("edit"), TEXT("C:\\Temp\\Demo.pdf"), WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_BORDER, 5, 5, 150, 20, hwnd, (HMENU) ID_SOURCEFILENAME, NULL, NULL);

if (LOWORD(wparam) == ID_BUTTON_ENCRYPT && HIWORD(wparam) == BN_CLICKED)
{
  FILE *sourceFile;
  if ((sourceFile = fopen(sourceFilename,"rb")) == NULL)
  {
    // Always execute here despite file existing on disk.
    break;
  }
  // Do file processing...
  fclose(sourceFile);

Is it a newb coding assumption/error?

Thank you, AJM.
Last edited on
Where is sourceFilename filled in?
Well... at what line do you assign a value to sourceFilename? Also, did you give a full or relative path?
You're right, I'm not assigning it. I was confused by another event handler. This raises the next question though:

1. How to I get the text contents of my edit field into fopen()? It's always complaining that the type is wrong.

e.g.

char sourceFilename[MAX_PATH] = "";

Then...

len = GetWindowTextLength(hwndSourceFilename) + 1;
GetWindowText(hwndSourceFilename, sourceFilename, len);
FILE *sourceFile;
if ((sourceFile = fopen(sourceFilename, "rb")) == NULL)

Raises this error on the sourceFilename parameter in GetWindowText()...

error C2664: 'GetWindowTextW' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'char [260]' to 'LPWSTR'
1>          Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast

I've tried all sorts of things but I can't find how to get the text of the control and put that into the sourceFilename variable.

Thank you,
AJM.
Last edited on
I've made some progress after following the advise on this page: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t458700-char-to-lpwstr.html

So now the code does this...

LPWSTR gah = new wchar_t[MAX_PATH];
GetWindowText(hwndSourceFilename, gah, MAX_PATH);
MultiByteToWideChar(CP_ACP, 0, sourceFilename, MAX_PATH, gah, MAX_PATH);
FILE *sourceFile;
if ((sourceFile = fopen(sourceFilename, "rb")) == NULL)
{
	// This is executed ?!?
	SetWindowText(hwnd, gah);
	break;
}
SetWindowText(hwnd, gah);

But, gah is always null, and it ends up evaluating sourceFilename to null too. I don't see why though, the edit field has a valid file path in it:

hwndSourceFilename = CreateWindow(TEXT("edit"), TEXT("C:\\Temp\\Demo.pdf"), WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_BORDER, 5, 5, 150, 20, hwnd, (HMENU) ID_SOURCEFILENAME, NULL, NULL);

Last edited on
You don't need to do that. You evidently have _UNICODE defined. Change the project so it's not defined and you'll see ASCII versions of the WIN32 API.
@kbw magic, problem solved. Thank you.

She's all good now and what's even better, the GUI port of the code has hung together so now it's just a matter of polishing up the interface.

Thanks to all those that helped, it's much appreciated. I'm learning C++ but a project for work has me creating something beyond my skill set, for which I don't have time to get there on my own. Though this has gone a huge way to increasing my knowledge and understanding of C++.

Cheers,
AJM.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.