Copy text from Custom Control

Hello,

I am trying to read text from a third party's application, of which I do not have the source code.

I am using c++ and I am trying to stick to the windows API.

I am relatively new to windows programming, though I have looked through MSDN and google for a solution but alas...the forums.

I am trying to read text from a child window (which i think is a custom control) of a parent window.
I can get the handles and IDs from the child and parent windows, and I can send/post messages to these as well.

It is my understanding that controls are just special windows.
It is also my understanding that a programmer can make their own controls.
I suspect that the child window with the text that I want to monitor is a custom control.
Therefore, throughout the post I will call this the "custom control".

This custom control has a scroll bar, and about 10 lines of visible text.
When one clicks on the visible text the whole line is highlighted.
A user can also clig and drag to select multiple lines, but cannot do a click/shift+click to select multiple lines.
Typing ctrl-a does not work to select all.
When one right clicks on the screen s/he gets the option to "copy". This works to copy the selected lines of text.
Also, typing ctrl-c copies the text as well.

I tried using the GetWindowText() on the child window but it is empty.

I suspect the custom control is some type of list-view/list-box text-box control and I would like to programmatically grab text from this window/custom control.
However, being that I do not know the interface to this control, how would I go about collecting/copying this text programmatically.

My plan is to attach a hook to trigger the event (as the text in the custom control is updated), but first I need to know how to copy this text.

I tried enumerating the properties of the child window/custom control, but I wouldn't know what to do with the data pointer of the property once/if I got it.
Also, I read that enumerating the properties would only work if they (the third party programmers) had Set/registered the property in the first place.
Is there a way to get the "interface", methods and data members, of a custom control?

How could I copy the text of a custom control?

Thanks for any thoughts,
First thing I would do is determine whether the control in question is actually a custom control or not. Take a look at Winspector Spy - http://www.windows-spy.com This will enable you to see which windows messages are being received by the control, along with a host of other detailed stuff.

If the control is based on an existing control, then you may be able to send it specific messages to retrieve the data you want. I would love to give you some more information and some
examples but I'm sat in front of an Apple Mac at the moment!
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.