migrating application from NT to Win2k3 Server

Hi there,

I have a server application written (not by me) initially for Windows NT system.

I got the code of this application as complete Borland C++ 5 project placed on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition image (Virtual Machine). I was told that code was modified to be Windows Server 2003 compatible.

Code is compiled under that System/IDE.
Then the application is run under Windows Server 2003 image (on some quite powerfull server machine).
It is reported that performance of that instance ("Win2k3 compatible") is much lower than the older ones which run on NT systems.

Unfortunately I do not have code dedicated for NT system so I can't check the differences.

Now I think that performance may be low due to compiler/IDE environment. It is quite old. I'm not sure if it has its support for Win2k3 tuned up.

What are you suggestions for making sure the code is really optimized for Win2k3 Server? Should I read through all the compiler/IDE documentation? Or Microsoft SDK?
Any hints on migrating code from NT to Win2k3?
Online sources?

Many thanks in advance!
Szymon
may it be, because you do run it within an virtual machine?... or did i understand this incorrectly?...
Hi there,

Both, the "NT" and "Win2k3" versions are run whitin their own virtual machines.

Anyone else anything?

Szymon
Own Virtual Machines?

Is it all 32bit (your software and OS)?
"Own" - "NT" version is run on NT system (virtual machine) and "Win2k3" version is run on Win2k3 system (virtual machine).

Software and OS are 32 bit.

I searched through that Borland C++ 5 compiler options and found settings for code instructions optimizations. I can choose between 386, 486, Pentium and Pentium Pro options - it looks like this is really outdated IDE.

Maybe I should try to move the project to newer IDE and install Microsoft Platform SDK (Win2k3 Server dedicated)?

Regards
It wouldn't hurt to use a recent Microsoft compiler. BC5 is 15 years old, as old as WIN32. The platform's moved on since then.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.