How To Use Visual Studio 2015

Just downloaded and installed Visual Studio 2015. Wouldn't have any idea how to create even the simplest C program such as....

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
 printf("Hello, World!\n");
 getchar();

return 0;
}

even though I've been coding since mainframes in 1975. Didn't see anywhere any templates for creating a console mode program, an empty project, or anything like that. I generally compile from the command line, but I haven't figured out yet how to operate their command prompt development environment in terms of setting it up for x86, x64 builds, or whatever. How in the world can young folks start out with a monstrousity like this, I'll never know. Can someone please help an old timer?
Just bought a new laptop yesterday so I could see how the latest MS development tools work in Windows 10. Last version I had was VStudio 2008. So I;m lost here. That's why my question.
My friend downloaded visual studio 2015 yesterday. Before the download, you have the option of choose the "typical" installation or "custom". Apparently, choosing typical only managed languages and web development tools will be installed - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2015/07/24/setup-changes-in-visual-studio-2015-affecting-c-developers/

Try re-installing and choosing custom this time, and make sure to install everything you need.

Edit: Make sure you download the c++ stuff like in the picture in the link I sent you, that's where you program C aswell.
Last edited on
Thanks a lot Tarik! That link explains it. I did like your friend and just opted for the typical installation which was horrendous! I guess my dsl isn't the fastest. It took like 7 hours, and all I ended up with is junk I'll never use. All I do really is low level C and C++ work. Right now its downloading something and deciding whether or not it wants to crash. When it finishes if it doesn't work I'll uninstall and try re-installing with the custom setup as described in that link. I actually thought about that when I saw it, but figured I'd be better off with letting it install everything. Mistake!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.