Using an XBOX 360 Controller in a game

I'm trying to find out if there is any documentation with the XBOX 360 controller that can be used in a game that I and a team of people are developing. The idea just came into my head, so it may not be possible. I do know, however, that the 360 controller can be compatible on Windows machines with a 360 USB receiver which I plan on purchasing.

I'm just wondering what would necessarily need to be done to accomplish something like this. I.e. the character in our game gets attacked, the controller provides feedback in the form of a vibration. The controller will also function as the main control instead of the normal arrow keys.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
binarysolo, the controller does act similar to that of a regular controller. Windows should have something in there API that allows you with such features on a gamepad.

EDIT: WinAPI can handle mouse and keyboard input including raw input. DirectX can handle the gamepad directly. Although, I don't like DirectX since it's a monopolistic bastard. So you can use pretty much any other input library such as but not limited to: SDL, SFML, many many more. You might be able to use DirectX input and OpenGL for rendering at the same time.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.