Buttons

Hello im trying to create an ACARS system in C, i have a main window with a inset child window as the screen, and i have 10 standard push buttons 5 each side of the screen window which serve as Line Select Keys (LSKs) the user will use these to select options from the screen thus switching pages. kinda like a menu. the trouble is, being as the WM_COMMAND message is only processed by the parent window, and the buttons can only be placed on the parent, how can i impliment this? im using gdi, and i create the appearance of switching pages by creating hidden screen windows and then destroying or hiding them (in the case of the main screen) is there any better way to do this?. sorry i cant provide source at present because i have no internet at home and im using an internet cafe. any help on this matter would be greatly appreicated,
if you need anymore more info to help me please ask.
Many Thanks.
James.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

Are you asking how to place buttons on on the window and handle the commands? or are you asking for ideas as to how to link the buttons to the 'screens'?

Out of interest
I take it from your description that an ACARS system is some sort of Multi-function display, what sort of data will be displayed? I was just thinking that you may be able to use an image of an ACARS in the background of the window and overlay the buttons and data onto of this.
I have the buttons, standard BS_PUSHBUTTON, and the screen window will be laid out as follows:

< METAR AIRPORT INFO >
< SETTINGS ATC OVERVIEW >

etc. with the buttons on the main window to access the menu options, its getting the buttons to work and to change the screen upon menu selection which is bugging me, i just can't figure out out to do it properly, the buttons should manipulate the screen window abit like a property sheet, but every button handling its own function. thanks for the ideas about the ACARS image, i have been thinking about this myself and also of using an OWNERDRAWN buttons instead of default ones, i have some screenshots of the program in action, ill try and post them in the next few days so that you can see how it should work
Thanks. James
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.