Need Ideas - Combining Mouse Input and Raw Input in the same app

Hi guys, I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

I have an app that has worked for years with a single mouse input. I am looking to incorporate the ability for my users to use other forms of input, such as interactive projectors, touch devices, or pretty much anything that provide WM_INPUT messages when you register for them.

The general idea I had was I would have a list of Vendor IDs and/or Product IDs that I would handle with Raw Input which provides this information (VID/PID) for each message (WM_INPUT) received. Any devices that are not handled in the Raw Input code would be handled in the Mouse Input code (WM_MOUSEMOVE etc).

Ideally, I would be able to leave all of my Mouse Input code as is. This way, if a user plugs in two mice, or a mouse and an unsupported pointing device (meaning my Raw Input code doesn't handle it based on VID/PID) the devices would both use the same system cursor. Any device that is known by my Raw Input code would be given separate cursors that exist only within my app.

The problem is simple: Mouse Input does not provide any information about the source of the message (such as WM_MOUSEMOVE, WM_LBUTTONDOWN, WM_RBUTTONDOWN, etc). If I could know the source of the Mouse Input, I could only handle Mouse Input from devices that aren't on my list of known devices, and I could only handle Raw Input that are on my list of known devices.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a way to achieve this.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time sorry for the lengthy post.

TL;DR - Can you identify the source of Mouse Input (not Raw Input) in Windows? Determining whether or not the source is touch is not enough information, I need some kind of unique identifier.

Resources:
Mouse Input - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff468877(v=vs.85).aspx
Raw Input - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms645536(v=vs.85).aspx
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.