why does visual studios need....

"Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update" for the apps compiled with it to run?

..well that was my original question.. but then i thought, wait.. im using sdl.. maybe sdl for windows uses the .net framework..

anyway, to people who use visual studios and don't use .net.. do you still have that problem?

if you don't have that package installed the app fails to start with a configuration error.

im not asking for help, just polling information.
You should be able to build non-.net applications with VS.net. If you're using SDL you probably shouldn't be building .net programs. If this is the case, it's likely a problem with the project settings. Try making a new project and make sure you're starting an "empty project" from the Wizard and disable all additional "features" and stuff that MSVS might have on by default.

That said -- you will need runtimes for programs made with VS. These usually throw missing DLL errors for people that don't have them. IIRC, when I was building programs with VS7, people still needed msvcr70.dll and msvcp70.dll. Kind of a big annoyance.
yea i don't use .net
im thinking about switching to code::blocks but im sooooooo used to the look, feel, everything.. about visual studios...
the project settings i've tweaked as much as i could (even broke the app b4...) but it still requires that package.. microsoft is lame...
anyway, i do have a possible theory on why this is happening.. it might not even be MS's fault. i think maybe SDL for windows is built using some .net.. maybe. i havn't looked at the source or anything.. but heh, its a possible reason i guess.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.