How to rename (refactor) a variable in Visual C++ Express?

Hi I'm new to programming in Visual C++ right now (after having worked with JAVA for a long time) and I'm having trouble figuring out how to simply rename a variable to another (more logical) name and have the compiler automatically change all references to it.

In JAVA (under the Eclipse IDE) I simply right clicked, and went to Refactor -> Rename. Having searched for how to do this in Visual Studio, however, I find only that I can do so by installing a third party add-in, which visual studio EXPRESS doesn't allow me to do.

Do I really have to pay for VS Standard, then for a plug-in just to rename a variable? I'm starting to wish I hadn't used VC++.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
You could use Find and Replace (I'm sure that's in express edition), just make sure your find options are set correctly.
Grey Wolf,

That was my backup plan, but I think that might wreck things if I have a variable named "MyTab" and another named "MyTab2" for instance.

I know that certain (simple) add-ins are allowed in Express, I wonder if anyone would have links to refactor/rename tools that might run in express?

Actually I tried installing one add-in, but I have no idea how to tell if i can run it. How does one generally run add-ins?

Thank you guys a bunch.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Just make sure that the find options Match case and Match whole world are selected and you should have no problem with things like MyTab and MyTab2.

Refactor! is freely available (not got around to trying it yet)
http://www.devexpress.com/Products/Visual_Studio_Add-in/RefactorCPP/
I couldn't figure out how to begin using "Refactor!" after i installed it, but to my surprise the find and replace in all files with those options does work! I thought for sure it would screw up when I tried to rename a DataGridView with "DataGridView_Click()" and "DataGridView_DoubleClick()" and all those subfunctions. But it worked.

you're the man, Grey Wolf :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.