update() not working

I'm using Visual Studio 2005 and I'm trying to update a database from a text box. I have scoured the internet and the only thing I've learned is that it should work. The control is bound to the database through the dataset and table adapter. When a change is made, it should automatically update the data set, but not the database. I'm then told (at least 20 times), to use

this->tableAdapter->Update(DataSet);

This however does nothing. I thought maybe it was failing because I was using a control and something wasn't sitting right. So I tried a data grid because it was designed for it. Once again, nothing happens.

I know the data set is updating because the textbox updates when the data grid is changed. But the information doesn't update in the database. I get no connection errors. Quite simply nothing happens... Any clues? Is it a setting in the dB? I'm using an MS Access DB.

Help is appreciated as I'm going insane...
Maybe this'll help, it's a starting point from where to can check what you've done.. The problem is clearly part of some code you've not posted.

Recordset: How Recordsets Update Records (ODBC)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ewce3tde.aspx
After a bit of testing, I databound just the data grid to the database, changed a value and when I call the above function, it actually worked... for the first time. So I decided to add the text box, tried again. Nothing.

I don't know how up to date Visual Studio is as it doesn't connect to the internet. Could it be something in the library that was wrong but was fixed in a later update? As I've mentioned in earlier posts, it all belongs to work so I don't know what they've done.

The databinding is done in design instead of programatically. So basically the code is written by Microsoft so I'm not breaking any rules of Microsoft because I'm doing it their way. Yet it ain't working.

I'll see what I can get out of my program from your link kbw and I'll post how it goes. Thanks for the tip.
After a bit more testing, I've discovered the text box is not updating the dataset within the program when a value is changed.

Can this be forced? Still trying to resolve this problem. Visual Studio is now up to date. The project is a CLR form not MFC
I still don't know what the issue was in the end. But I found a work around by moving the databindingsource position somewhere else before calling update
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.