Thought about Mac?

Longtime Linux user here who, like most of us, is forced to use a Mac for work. Today when I put my laptop to sleep, the fan wouldn’t stop and after looking online, the official Apple forums recommends to restart the laptop because “the SMC can get confused sometimes”. So more or less “it’s a known bug somewhere in the kernel/hardware, but instead of fixing it we’re going to make you restart because that’s easier.”

This is like the 5th time I’ve had to restart my Mac for stupid reasons like this (others are Monitors causing the display to glitch, Bluetooth headphones getting stuck as single channel headsets, and even an unexpected VPN disconnect causing DNS queries to fail), and restarts are not cheap as they disrupt my workflow. Honestly, even Windows feels more stable than MacOS imo these days.
My company https://shagle.download sadly is too deep into the Mac life, and I’ll never get to switch to Linux, but boy I SURE do dream of it...
Anyway, clearly this was a bit of a rage post, but I’m genuinely curious about all of your interactions with Mac as Linux users both out of curiosity and wondering if I’m in the minority here. So essentially - have any similar disdain for it? Have some ways that it lowkey outperforms its competitors? I’m all ears.
https://echat.date
Thanks
Last edited on
If you want to have a little cry about your Mac, move it to the lounge.
If you want to have a little cry about your Mac, move it to the lounge.

Should be in the lounge, could be nicer 0-0

I’m genuinely curious about all of your interactions with Mac as Linux users

Linux and MacOS are similar in many ways. Like all operating systems, you're gonna have occasional hiccups. I've had issues with Apple products before in similar ways, I find that there's usually never a real solution.

If you're using the OS for work, I don't feel that a Linux distro would somehow be a better option than MacOS.
all 3 os are stable if you put an expert into fixing whatever is going stupid on them. Without a bit of TLC, all 3 can be a little unstable all the way to unusable depending on what is wrong with it.
If you like the job, get on the web and figure out how to resolve the crashes and get stable, if you don't have an expert on hand to call at the job. Ive always dodged jobs that won't let me have full fix it rights to the box... but if you can't fix on it yourself and your company guru can't fix it, its time to move on ... trying to work all day on unstable computers stopped being a real thing in the 2000s, and there is no sense in it today.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.