presentation in c++

closed account (ETAkoG1T)
I want to make a presentation, but SDL is too hard and wont run on a machine without it installed. Any ideas to a way to make a presentation with pictures and buttons? (easy to add sound and videos are good to) I saw in java that adding buttons was quite an easy task, does c++ have an equally easy way?
Have you looked into SFML with http://sfgui.sfml-dev.de/ ?
I want to make a presentation, but SDL is too hard and wont run on a machine without it installed.

SDL is one of the easiest libs to set up. If it's too hard for you, you probably are going to have much luck with another lib.

SFML is definitely easier to use (IMO), but getting it set up/installed on your machine is s more difficult.

In either case... both libs will have to be bundled with your exe if you want people to be able to run it. SFML can be configured to link statically, so it will be built right into your exe without you having to provide any extra dlls.

I saw in java that adding buttons was quite an easy task, does c++ have an equally easy way?

Widgetry is probably one of C++'s weakest areas. There are widgetry libs like wxWidgets and Qt which are crossplatform and make it as simple as they can... but it's still quite cumbersome. If you're already familiar with Java GUI design, it might not be a bad idea to just stick with that.
I am not familiar with java, I just watched some code and output for the code.

If it's too hard for you, you probably are going to have much luck with another lib.

Did you mean not have much luck with other libs? I probably wont use c++ for my presentation, I only have 6-7 weeks to both learn it and make a presentation. (making a presentation wont be hard though when I have learned it)
Sorry, that was a typo. I mean "probably aren't going to have much luck"
Anyways, I'll just learn SDL. Won't be able to use it for this presentation, bcuz of limited time.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Just use QT if you can't get your head around the library you can just use the drag and drop designer to make a simple presentation though I wouldn't recommend using the designer for any larger projects because it just plain sucks in my opinion and it is much better just to code your own.

But if you have a good understanding of C++ you should be able to whip up a simple GUI for your presentation in a few hours with QT or even wxWidgets
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.