internet help?

So my internet has been extremely slow. I'm using a desktop with a usb wifi adapter. All the other devices have fast internet, but this one. My upload speed used to also be faster than my download speed, but I changed some settings and they are both even slower. Any settings to tweak or anything?

Thanks
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Your upload speed is faster then your downloading speed? That seems a bit off to be honest.

What setting did you change?
Is anyone else using your wifi? Wifi is a shared medium, meaning each person cuts down on your talk time. More people = slower speed. Make sure it's password protected with WPA-2.

Could also be your wifi stick just going bad. A lot of those little usb adapters are just built cheaply.

Knowing what settings you changed would be helpful.
I'm not sure what settings I changed! Yeah, my upload speed is/was faster than my download speed, weird right? And my network is super secure- its mac adressed controlled with passwords, so outsiders definitely cannot use it- its just my family. Is there a way I can reset my internet settings? I'm using the windows 8 preview by the way.
w/ adblock plus installed, tell us the speeds you get from http://www.speedtest.net/
its mac adressed controlled with passwords, so outsiders definitely cannot use it- its just my family

Mac filtering is a little extreme, you'd be fine just using WPA-2.
I'm using a desktop with a usb wifi adapter.

There lies your problem. Your adapter's reaching the end of it's life. I had the same problem with a cheap Rosewill USB wifi adapter i bought on a temporary basis.
Consider a new adapter.

Or you could do what I did. Steal a router that's laying around work and flash it with DD-WRT, then use it as an AP bridge.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.