My Little Pony Friendship is Magic

Pages: 12
So, a month or so ago I caught my 13 year old brother watching the new(ish) My Little Pony cartoon. Now, I have a few friends who are in the whole Brony fandom so it wasn't exactly shocking, but with him watching it I figured I'd give the show a shot.

Fast forward to now, I find my self watching the new episodes on Monday morning and collecting the McDonalds Happy Meal toys. So, I figured I'd ask around and see if anyone here has come in contact with Bronies and if anyone here is one them self. O:
closed account (zb0S216C)
xander337 wrote:
but with him watching it I figured I'd give the show a shot... I find my self watching the new episodes on Monday morning and collecting the McDonalds Happy Meal toys.

You're not joking, are you? And no, I'm not a "Bronie". As soon as I saw the bright pink colours, I had to punch the wall to feel like a man again, and clear my browsing history in case of humiliation.

Wazzak
Last edited on
I gave the show an honest shot after I caught wind of the Brony fandom. I liked the art style so I figured the show might be surprisingly good.

But I couldn't even get through the first ep. It was too awful.

I still like the art style and I am entertained by many of the image macros... but the show itself is too horrid to watch.
Last edited on
I really don't see what's so incredible about the show. The art is nice and the colors are appealing, but I don't see what the difference between it and other children's shows is. I figured a lot of bronies were just bored people wanting to be a part of something.
I think it just allows you to see who has underlying simple minds and who has underlying complex minds. I'll bet you can guess which is which...

And, no, I don't like the show.
Last edited on
I know a couple of people that like the show a lot. Funny thing is, when I ask them why they like it so much, they can't give a straight answer. They either sidestep the question or just give a non descriptive reason like "It's just amazing." Brainwashing? Nah... Probabaly not.
I've never watched it and never will. I don't have anything against bronies (although the word is stupid by itself) but I do think it's kind of weird. But hey, if you enjoy something, why let someone tell you not to do it? (Unless it's something like paedophilia, but I guess that's out of the scope of this thread).
It's a cartoon aimed at young girls in which the protagonists not only do not seek validation by winning the attention of males or subscribing to trends, but also is self-aware enough that minor characters complain that the answer to their questions is probably to find out who they really are or some such boring nonsense. I struggle to think of any better cartoon aimed at young girls.... more or less ever. When you make something good, you're going to get demographic spill.

Also, I am grateful that their jingle writer decided to use their powers for harmless cartoon rather than evil. Some of those things are bloody mind-virii.
Last edited on
The first couple of episodes were terrible, but somewhere around 1/3 the way through the first seasons is when it picked up, which is right about the time they started catering to their unusual fan base.

The reason I enjoy the show so much is because of how in touch the writers are with the fans. There have been numerous references to common jokes among fan fictions, references to things that only their older demographic would get (copying a scene from terminator where someone appears back in time in an episode involving time travel, or ponies that are obviously based on the main characters of the Big Lebowski in a bowling alley... or john de lancie, the actor who played Q in Star Trek TNG and Voyager, voicing a character that was identical to Q in personality and role)

But besides that I'm already a fan of cartoons, I don't mind watching the stuff playing on Cartoon Network or Nickelodian if it's a good show. This one happens to have amazing animation, pretty decent art, a good amount of continuity regarding things in the background between episodes, good writing, and some pretty great voice actors.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but if you're already an adult who regularly watches cartoons I'd say it's worth giving a shot... just make sure you don't start at the very beginning, those episodes were not good.
I just think they should explore a different platform from Ponies if the storyline is that good.
just make sure you don't start at the very beginning, those episodes were not good.

That was my problem.

Give me an episode to start on and I'll give it another shot.
xander337 wrote:
somewhere around 1/3 the way through the first seasons
Yes, explain what you mean by "seasons"
I just want to start by saying xander337 is now offically the bravist person on this forum.

I've been seeing A LOT about this My Little Pony stuff on-line recently and honestly I was chalking it up to some kind of /r/ClopClop fetish\joke wave (if you're a fan of the show and know what I'm talking about DO NOT go to that site). Is this a satirical cartoon like Venture Brothers? Are there a bunch of good tounge-in-cheek jokes to keep adults interested or something? In order for someone to appreciate the connection of the writers with their fanbase I'd imagine that person would have to be a fan in the first place...
I just think they should explore a different platform from Ponies if the storyline is that good.

Yes, cancelling something successful on the grounds that you're good at it is a sound plan.
Yes, cancelling something successful on the grounds that you're good at it is a sound plan.

I laughed.
@L B: Meant to say season. Referring to the first batch of episodes to come out before a break in new episodes. I think some people would say first series but here a series would imply every episode in the show.

@Computergeek01: there are a lot of tongue-in-cheek jokes, and yes to a degree you'd have to be a fan to enjoy their connection, but on in the references to the fandom. There's still a lot of things thrown in there that the fandom is old enough to get but a little kid wouldn't. Also I appreciate the reference to the Lorentz Factor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_factor) in the background on a chalkboard in an episode involving time travel.

@Disch: A lot of people really like Season 1 Ep 9 (bridle gossip), I really liked Season 1 Ep 25 (Party of One) and Season 2 Ep 3 (Lesson Zero), and the two episodes with John De Lancie are the Season 2 Ep 1 and 2. You really can't go wrong with any of those.
Doesn't the idea that somewhere there's a physics postgraduate student who draws ponies for a living bother you?
Last edited on
@chrisname: LOL!!! Worried about your future?
Lol, nah, I'm doing CS, not physics (though I'll do physics later if I can).
Not even slightly, but you don't have to be a physics postgraduate student to understand or at least know of the lorentz factor. I caught it when I saw it O:
Pages: 12