C++ Book Intermediate Level

Hi guys,

I need an intermediate level C++ book.I had the Deitel&Deitel's "How To Program in C++" which was a very good one as a introductory level book,but now I need and want to go into a bit more detail.(I have an EE background,and currently working in a telecom company which is developing large size projects for telecom operators.)

Can you suggest some good books for the next step?

I have an intention to buy Lippman's "C++ Primer" (not the plus one), what do you think about this book?

Any suggestions & advices welcomed.

Last edited on
Bjarne Stroustrup - "The C++ Programming Language"

Definitely something you should look into if you aren't a complete beginner anymore.
The C++ Programming Language is a book on the standard. It's the driest reading you can find and most people use it for reference only. Great information in there, but it's not the next book for your bookshelf.

I recommend these, in [approx.] this order:
Effective C++
Generic Programming and the STL
C++ Gotchas
Design Patterns
C++ Coding Standards
Exceptional C++

(The last two are the best books on C++ that I have ever read and I read a lot!)
Last edited on
I think it was an ok read. Though you're right, it's not really one of those books you normally read through...

Oh, and "Head First Design Patterns" is also good for an introduction into real OOP. They use Java, but 99% of the examples work in C++ just as well.
Last edited on
hanst99 wrote:
Head First Design Patterns

+1

There's a guy who took all the examples in this book and
rewrote them in C++ -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/hfdp-cpp/
The remote proxy thingy as well? I thought that would be kinda hard to do in C++...
I thought that would be kinda hard to do in C++...

simple port forwarding =) level one socket programming!
The remote proxy calls methods on objects that are (maybe) located on another heap, without letting the caller know. It's probably not THAT hard to do with knowledge of socket programming, but I can't imagine it being just port forwarding :O
Oh, I don't know. Well, you can download it and see for yourself.
i think the 'c++ primer' is very well. and i spend half of one year finish it. when i do the second, it shows me more new knowledge!
it's just my private view!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.