• Forum
  • Lounge
  • How to Host your own website at home, wi

How to Host your own website at home, with your own web servers...

I see there are tons of sites out there such as godaddy, that alow you to use there servers..... I Dont Want to do That.

I want to have my own server at home and host my site from it so i dont have to pay monthy fees or yearly fees to use there servers... (I know its alot of work but yea)

my question is that i will be a url. how do i reserve a url so it is MINE... ???

is there a fee? and once i have it is it allways mine? or do i have to pay yearly or soemthing???

thanks

zack
I want to have my own server at home and host my site from it so i dont have to pay monthy fees or yearly fees to use there servers... (I know its alot of work but yea)

It isn't worth it. You will need a dedicated IP. It will cost you more to host your own than it would to just use a hosting company. Why exactly do you want to host your own?
Yes Return 0 is right. Plus you also have security concerns and need to check with ISP, although there aren't much strict guidelines. Just make sure.

To have your own URL, you would need to buy a domain. You can register one from GoDaddy for $11 USD and I think they also have plans where you buy hosting and they give you a free domain. Hosting is relatively cheap; however, I would buy the separately. Register the domain name at Godaddy and host elsewhere. You can probably find a host out there that's less than $5/month.

Also, even if you plan to host on your computer, you need to buy an IP address and a domain and IP both pretty much cost the same. I mean somesite.com is better than xxx.xx.xxxx.

To answer your question, there is always a fee. Domain names are $11, maybe $10, but in that ball park. You have to renew your domain every year unless you register it for next 20 years at which point you don't have to worry for 20 years. However 20 years * $10 = $200. It's pretty steep so people usually do one or two year. If you are a large corporation, you can actually reserve the domain forever with ICANN but in all the domains of the world, only a couple thousand are registered forever. But you have to prove your value. I'm not sure nbc.com is registered forever. This is how strict they are.
dyndns
.org
Unless electricity is very cheap at your place or you have a machine available for use that has very low power consumption (such as a low-end notebook or a netbook), hosting at home would cost you much more (30-40€/month) than an external hoster, where website hosting starts at 2€/month.
What's more, upload speeds are terrible when hosting at home. As soon as more than two people are browsing your site at the same time, the page loading speed will slow down to a crawl - of course, depending on your upload speed, it might already be unbearably slow with just one viewer.
What's more, upload speeds are terrible when hosting at home. As soon as more than two people are browsing your site at the same time, the page loading speed will slow down to a crawl - of course, depending on your upload speed, it might already be unbearably slow with just one viewer.
I have a web server installed on my laptop and it can handle at least 5 people without any speed loss...
( I don't recommend having a real website on your own computer though )
I agree, however he was asking how he could do it without an external site, wasn't he =)
My company at work uses In Motion Hosting for their web server, domain, and email. It's actually pretty decent. Good features, good customer support, and very reasonably priced.

Even the personal plans look good and surprisingly affordable (although you have to commit to 2 years and pay upfront, it looks like):

http://www.inmotionhosting.com/

Plus I don't think the listed prices include domain registration. They offer that service, I just think it costs extra -- at least on some of the plans. So be sure to read the fine print.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.