Understanding breadboard circuits

Hi guys,

I'm not overly sure how breadboards function and just want to try and get a better understanding. I'm following a couple of tutorials but this is the one I'm currently watching ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy7DY2UbHvM ).

He mentions that each breadboard row(on each column) are connected to one another but the columns themselves are not connected. We also have + and - columns that run down the side of the board, the columns of the + bus are connected and the columns of the - bus are all connected, I've been told there is a metal strip that goes along each of the aforementioned.

If you pause at 14:04 you can see the circuit connected, but there lies my problem, I don't understand how this circuit is connected, especially since not all columns are connected.

The yellow wire is connected to 3.3 volts which is output from the arduino, this is connected to one of the holes in the + column, this I understand, the circuit will go from the arduino back to the breadboard. Next one end of the green cable is connected to the ground pin of the arduino, but how does this make a circuit if the + and - columns are not connected??? I also don't get how the positive(anode) and negative(cathode) pins of the LED can be connected to different rows because as mentioned these rows are now connected?

Thanks

Last edited on
how does this make a circuit if the + and - columns are not connected?

The + and - are connected inside the arduino.
Think I'm starting to get the hang of it by just tinkering with it, thanks guys
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.