Freedom

Pages: 12
Sooo I kinda sorta just graduated highschool, pretty much exactly one hour ago, just got home actually. Now I want to augment college career in Programming by learning a new paradigm over the summer. So far I have OOP, scripting based and shell based languages down. Any suggestions.

also: WOO EFF YAAAA FINALLY OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL!
Why not event driven programming?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event-driven_programming

-Albatross

P.S.- Heh heh heh... just wait until you graduate.
I'd also recommend a functional language. Scheme, Haskell and Clisp are popular.
Scripting (and a shell script is still a script) isn't a paradigm. It's a type of language implementation.

My suggestion is functional programming.
Last edited on
Damn you...I still have 2 weeks...

And I'll vote for functional programming too.
Thanks for the correction helios, I wasn't sure of it when saying it. and function it is :D
http://flyingfrogblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/most-popular-functional-languages-on.html
You can ignore the "on Linux" part if you want because AFAIK they're all cross platform. No, I don't know this person and don't usually touch bloggers with a 10-foot pole; but this was the first result for "popular functional languages"...
Doumo arigato gozaimasu Chris san :P
Wow... that's the most humility and kindness I've seen anyone display toward chrisname.

Translation (assuming Japanese):
Thank you very much (humbly), Chris.

If I tried to translate san, it might look a little like this:
Thank you very much (humbly), Mr. Chris.

-Albatross
You'd be correct. but then again the japanese are known for their humility and kindness in their vernacular conventions. It's just the culture.

By the way I dont speak japanese fluently. just enough to get by in the city. Me and a few friends always dreamed of going there after graduation, now that that has come, we don't have the cash :P
Seraphimsan、本当ですか? 分からなかったな・・・。
uhhh boku wa hiragana o yowai desu ^^;; (as is my nihongo hanashu)
a, sokka・・・zanendana・・・
Heh. My dad was in the Navy, so my family moved to Japan once. We lived there for three years. While I was there, I decided to learn Spanish. :(
I decided to learn Spanish.

Heh. IMHO, Spanish is the foreign language for people who don't know what foreign language to learn. XD
Also, French.

Spanish has the advantage of having very high lexical similarity with Italian and Portuguese, which means a Spanish speaker can more or less make himself understood in Portugal and Italy.
French, however, is like the weird cousin among Romance languages. Compare, for example, senhor (pr), señor (es), and signore (it) to monsieur. WTF happened there?
And while I'm on the subject of freak languages, just take a look at Japanese itself. Go ask a linguist where it came from and his answer will be a variation of ¯\(°_o)/¯.
It's likely to have come from classical chinese in it's writting system, as for its pronunciations? Hell I doubt there are any in the world who still know. Considering the islands are thought to have been isolated for all of about 4000 years? yea I doubt we'll know soon.
Or from Korean? I've heard Japanese people say that after listening to Koreans speak they aren't sure if they are speaking Korean or some strange dialect of Japanese.

PS: If you are going with a functional language, may I recommend a lisp dialect.

EDIT: Relevant to the discussion, I think: http://lambda.bugyo.tk/cdr/mwl/index.html
Last edited on
AFAIK, Japanese basically took a bunch of Chinese kanji and took a pronunciation of them and turned them into hiragana/katakana. Then the changed the meaning of some of the kanji and called it their language. (lol)
In Japanese each kanji has two or three kinds of readings, one is supposed to be from the Chinese (sometimes it sounds exactly like the Chinese, sometimes it doesn't) another is their own (gotten from who knows where), and the other is used exclusively for names (which is also gotten from who knows where).

As to the languages origin: Here is what wikipedia says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_of_the_Japanese_language
The immediate classification of Japanese is clear: it is a Japonic language, along with the Ryukyuan languages. Traditionally, these are considered dialects of a single language isolate. However, more distant connections remain contentious among historical linguists. The possibility of a genetic relationship to the Goguryeo (Koguryŏ) language has the most currency; a relationship to Korean is widely considered; an Altaic hypothesis is also often suggested. A few linguists also support the hypothesis that Japanese is genealogically related to the Austronesian languages.
Last edited on
Pages: 12