• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Should/How would I get started freelanci

Should/How would I get started freelancing?

I'm a high school senior in NYC, and I've been programming (mostly in C++) for several years.

I like the idea of doing freelance work in C++ to make some money, and most of all to acquire practical experience. However, looking through websites like Freelancer.com, it feels like most of the publicly listed freelance work is from people who either know nothing about programming and think they can pay a guy $100 for a full-scale app, or people who want someone else to do their homework for $20.

Where should I look for work in this area? Should I even try to freelance?

Thanks!
Last edited on
I've used Freelancer.com in the past. Back then the distribution was
50% absurd projects with unreasonable budgets
35% ethically questionable projects (automatic mailers and such)
10% homework
5% actually interesting stuff
The best gig I found in that last 5% was to work on an XCOM clone. I'm sure you can find something like that if you keep looking, but it does take a lot of perseverance. To freelance you need to get into the mindset that when you don't have work, your job is to find work. Personally, I didn't like that, and I didn't like how competitive that marketplace is.
That said, the real reason I stopped freelancing was because getting paid was messy. Receiving money from abroad is a hassle here.

I don't live in the US, but my understanding is that the cost of living is quite high. That gamedev gig was windfall for me, but I don't think it's a livable wage for someone in the US. Contractors typical earn more than employees because they don't get any benefits; freelancing you'd probably make less than a regular employee.

Then again, maybe I'm totally off-base.
Thanks a lot for the response, and you're definitely not off-base.

I live in NYC, which is the epitome of high cost of living in the US, then again I'm not even 17 yet.

You mentioned contractors get paid more than regular employees- how does one go about getting contracting work in this field?

Also in your experience could sites like freelancer be used as a stepping stone to direct freelance/contract jobs?
You mentioned contractors get paid more than regular employees- how does one go about getting contracting work in this field?
I imagine companies post wanted ads as with regular positions, except they specify that the job will be under contract, rather than a permanent hire situation. It's really basically the same as at-will employment, except it gives the company the ability to fire you/lay you off (by not renewing) without giving you severance. In general companies use it to reduce job security.
The exception is for longer contracts (e.g. 3-5 years), because then you know they can't fire you until the contract is fulfilled, not without paying you the remainder of the contract.

Also in your experience could sites like freelancer be used as a stepping stone to direct freelance/contract jobs?
Sorry, I couldn't say.
Hey axtyax

I was going through your conversation and felt like making a statement.

I live in London and do freelance work as a programmer too. I also took up projects at Freelancer.com and they served me good. I completed my graduation a month back and have been freelancing past 2 years. I believe freelancer can be used as a stepping stone.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.