Just installed Visual Studio 2010

So I just installed 2010... And so far I can't get intellisense to work for the life of me. Hell this is even the Ultimate version, so I go surfing the net for this and it seems to be a common problem by the looks of it. To think I was really looking forward to 2010 as well. Least the new office works flawlessly so far :)
*sigh* This is why I used NetBeans. This... is why I used NetBeans...

-Albatross
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Sorry to hear that, Intellisense works fine for me in Visual Studio 2010 Pro.

NetBeans is boss though, I do anything that doesn't require me to use the Microsoft Compilers (Work mostly :P) with it.
Last edited on
So you don't use it anymore? What do you use now? I use to use it as well. But after programming java in it for a year as well I got sick of looking at it. I find visual studio pretty, at the least with visual assist on min settings I can have some form of intellisense. Either way I don't rely on it - I do love my VS2008 though.
@darkestfright: So you got it working with the professional version huh. Lucky you :P, one thing I don't like about this 2010 so far is it's not pretty. I feel like I'm in some totally different program - not even it's not pretty I guess, it just looks bloody weird.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Intellisense worked fine out of the box for me.

I like the soft mauves personally, it's much easier on the eyes then the extreme light blues in 2008. Dark Themes ftw.
Last edited on
@Mythios:

I switched to Mac OS X some time ago, tried installing NetBeans, and decided that for some reason, I liked XCode's IDE more.

I use XCode's IDE, with a few extensions. XCode does have a plugin system but it's experimental and they haven't released any documentation for it (I was actually luck that someone had figured it out before me).

For single file editing, I use Smultron. Minimalism FTW.

I did very much like VS 2008, though.

-Albatross

Last edited on
Oh I'd agree with the dark themes. But as I'm programming on a 37" monitor I must say, no mater the color it doesn't help. I just set the brightness to 0.3%. I'm in my final year of uni for game programming - so what ever I make I like to see nice and large.

EDIT:
Oh you switched to Mac OS X. I'm just so use to windows I hate leaving the environment. It's sad actually I love using all microsoft things, yet I never get the support I need from them. Lucky we have forums like these :)
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I have Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate installed with no problems (that is along side 6, 2003, 2005, and 2008 on XP pro SP3).

I understand what you mean by 'it just looks bloody weird', I'm not yet a fan of how it looks (especially the blue colour scheme as I have the Olive colour scheme on XP).

Haha, I wonder if it's possibly a problem with having it installed with windows 7? You have a lot of VS's installed :D
I've got a trial version of VS2010 pro and VS2010 C++ Express installed on windows 7 with 0 problems.
I've got VS2010 installed on Windows 7 without problems as well.
same to me... and I love the multi-moniter support...
Sounds like I've gotten unlucky then. I might go give it an install on my laptop with windows 7. See how it holds up there.
Least the new office works flawlessly so far :)

Emphasis on the "so far"! 07 had some very annoying flaws which I [i]think[/]can't completely remember) still lie in 2010. It does look nice though :)
Intellisense worked fine out of the box for me too. Running Win7 Pro and VS2010 Pro.
Works fine for me as well. The only thing I find annoying is the lack of Text Browser functionality. I can't find the buttons for going to the previous place in a document, or indenting and unindenting a set of code. Other than that though, I like the new automatic syntax checker and updated Intellisense system.
If I wrote a C++/.NET program with VS could I run it on Linux using Mono? I want to write a GUI and .NET seems to be the simplest way to do so in C++; but I'd like the program to run on Linux.
@chrisname:
I take it you haven't tried GTK+, QT4, SDL, or anything else like that. However, Mono will permit you to use at least the GUI features of .NET without issue.

-Albatros
GTK+ is horrible, SDL is irrelevant to the kind of GUI I'm trying to write and Qt is massive. .NET is supposed to be really easy and I've never written a .NET program, so I might as well try it.

Edit:
You know what? I can't be asked to download 75 MiB worth of compiler I'm only going to use once, I'll use Qt. I started using KDE yesterday, and once I got GTK+ programs to look decent on it I actually really like it.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.