Where from did your C++ journey start?

Pages: 1234
I started learning C++ during my BSC in Mathematics using Balaguruswamy book (http://www.amazon.com/Object-oriented-Programming-C-E-Balagurusamy/dp/007462038X).

I then started learning a bit more by reading Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel. Still I am not 100% thorough of all the concepts discussed in that book. Currently reading Accelerated C++ book. I am yet to read Bjarne's C++ programming language book. Turbo C was my very first compiler and then I have used MS Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition and G++. I however do not know how to debug in G++ (I manage to write comment to debug though)

So, where did your C++ journey start from?
well , i started learing C++ from my second term in my sophomore year and i am still a college student now.
I used a c++ book written by a famous professor in my country(China), at that time i thought it
was the best book on C++ and i had already mastered the language well,nevertheless after i
log on the web and surf around a number of sites on programming ,then i suddenly realized that i was such a fool not knowing so much features and tricks in the C++.

To be honest, i dislike some presses in my country just hire some people without related background to translate books written in English.Those books translated is "buggy"(i mean, lexical fault or logical fault),left alone uderstanding it.
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I started coding in UnrealScript when I was in the eigth grade. This took me a long time to understand and it almost felt like I hit my limits. Fortunately, I eventually stuck with it and formed the fundamentals of my programming hobby. In the ninth grade (age 14), I started on C++ for a few reasons. UT2004 had become a hack infested game and the only decent anti-cheats were built with UnrealScript which had serious limits. So, I started creating my own homemade headers to represent the native functions exported from the UE2 DLLs and started creating my own anti-cheat. I lost interest though for a few reasons and eventually just quit playing the game. My knowledge of C++ dropped and I didn't code for another one or two years.

Then around 2008, I started wanting a few tools for myself and needed a language to make them in. I started C++ back up and struggled worse than before, leading to my original post in this forum. Eventually, the tools were made and I was happy but I wanted to learn more. So, in the last two years, I've been studying everything from bash to assembly for game programming to business apps. C++ seems to be my favorite so far.
My father started teaching me C# a few years back, because of the fact that the language was relatively simple. It was a cool language, in my previous opinion, and I could do quite a bit in it. A year or so later, I found out exactly in what ways C# was inferior to C++ (large, slow, similar to Java, less supported, Windows only). And I was like "Forget C#, I'm switching to C++". I got a few books on the topic, read these tutorials, swallowed the reference, and here I am.

It's amusing that it took me a year to find that out.

-Albatross
How is C# windows-only?
http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
Programs written in C# are not even portable between different Windows versions...
closed account (z05DSL3A)
????
The only program I had written on C# was designed for XP and on Vista was crashing every 5 minutes
I first learned about it because I told my dad's friend I wanted to make video games, but I didn't know where to start. He mentioned something about C++, so I searched it. This was the first website that popped up. I downloaded Dev, then I started tinkering with stuff I read in the tutorial. Then, I finally decided to make an account here, I don't remember why, I probably needed help on something.

Ever since, I have also learning PHP and CSS.
The C# program I'm working on at work has no problems on any Windows Platform.
So, instead of debugging, you just went "fuck .NET"?
So, instead of debugging, you just went "fuck .NET"?

Some days I wish I had!
I missed a comma
The only program I had, written on C# ...

Not by me
Oh, well, then that was probably just poor coding. The programmer probably made too many assumptions about WinAPI behavior.
Just because .NET allows programs to be portable, doesn't mean that they *have* to be portable. It's the same with C++.

EDIT: By the way, just to make it clear, I don't like .NET. The other day I wrote a stupid program in C++ that used ~900K of memory. The same program in C# used 25 MiB. All the program was supposed to do was wait for incoming connections on a pipe and run a command once something came through.
Last edited on
I started writing HTML when I was about 12, then learnt Javascript and CSS and found out about C++ from somewhere. I thought it sounded 'cool' and decided to learn it.

Since then, I've learned C and Asm, a little Python and a tiny amount of both PHP and Perl as well as Bash script. I would only list C, C++, Python and Assembly as being languages I 'know', though.
When i was in 4th grade I started getting into my dad's collection of college notes. Studying physics and calculus...not understanding ANY of it mind you. But one day I came across a folder marked "COMPUTER SCIENCE" At first all I saw was diagrams of electronics. circuitry and the like. but the more I delved into that folder the more I found my self engrossed in computer science. I finally came across a sub folder marked "FORTRAN/PASCAL/8080 ASSEMBLER/C" It was all gibberish to me. so I took it to my dad and asked what it all meant. He explained to me that's what software was made up of. I told him I wanted to learn it. To make a game. He laughed and sent me to a website to learn BASIC. Well two years of DarkBASIC was enough to make me realize that there was more to the programming world. 6th grade rolled around and I bought a book on beginners programming in C. It didnt take long to make the jump to c++.

Now I'm 18 and multi lingual computer wise. My stretch reaching across 3 paradigms and 6 languages. Computers are my calling. Programming is my passion. My projects are my children, my master project is my love.
I was somewhat relieved and somewhat disappointed by the transition from seeing the preview of Seraphimsan's post ("When i was in 4th grade I started getting into my dad's collection of...") and his actual post.
I litterally lol'd at that statement :P
I lol'd at this:
Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows Vista Ultimate combines all the features of the Home Premium and Enterprise editions, plus "Ultimate Extras". 64-bit Ultimate supports 128 GB of RAM.
Microsoft also makes an upgraded variant of Windows Vista Ultimate available: Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade Limited Numbered Signature Edition. This limited, numbered edition of Windows Vista Ultimate features Bill Gates' signature on the front of the packaging along with its unique number; Microsoft plans to produce only 25,000 copies of this edition.

I want Bill Gates' signature. D'you think he'd give me it if I walked up to him wearing my Arch Linux t-shirt?
Last edited on
Just make sure the Linus is wearing a Windows T-shirt, and you should be fine.

-Albatross
Pages: 1234