Why is apple still going?

Pages: 12
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Performance and better hardware, not the same thing. Apples OSs are optimised for their devices, resulting in better performance, unlike android which has to be made for many phones and windows
Apples OSs are optimised for their devices

I agree, and that is better than windows 8, which is pretty much the same for tablets, but Apples prices are insane. My sister let someone borrow her charger and she never got it back, so she had to pay 80.00$ for a new one.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC461LL/A/apple-60w-magsafe-power-adapter-for-macbook-and-13-inch-macbook-pro
The proprietary interface thing is horrendous, to be fair. No reason (other than to fleece people out of money) for it not to be USB.
Because it's pretty.

This is a very arguable point, I don't see anything pretty in a brick-like device. And quality is really deteriorating and the only thing that helps them keep their profit position is marketing.

Apples OSs are optimised for their devices, resulting in better performance

Last time I checked benchmarks, iPhones were much slower in terms of performance than top-class Android devices from Samsung, Sony or HTC. Apple may optimize some non-important aspects like screen transitions to be slightly more smooth or the GUI a little more responsive, but poorer hardware means basically lower performance for applications. I saw a comparison of the same game lagging on iPhone, while being completely smooth on Android device (I guess it was Samsung Galaxy S5, but not sure now) - I don't remember where I saw it.

I'm using a good Android phone and even though it is not the best in benchmarks *now*, I don't have any performance problems or lags with it and many applications users complain to be "too heavy" or "not optimized enough" work smooth on it. The GUI is just as responsive as in iOS, battery lasts for 3-5 days of normal use and build quality is the same as in iPhone (basically hardened glass + metal case). I'm just happy with it, so if I'm happy why would I buy an iPhone? To show off?

Now it changed with iPhone 6, which is faster than the competition, but let's wait for the new generation of Android phones (Samsung is going to release something soon for sure, Sony will release Xperia Z3, etc.). We're just before Christmas, lots of vendors will release their new models soon. Typically whoever has the newest hardware, tops in benchmarks.

BTW: Android gets its bad name for millions of cheap China noname phones, which come typically with outdated Android and crappy hardware, that is not only responsible for poor performance but also occasional freezes. Also, early Android versions were slow, buggy and lagged, but with 4.x series those problems are long gone.

Because it's pretty.

Just my opinion: Xperia Z or HTC One are prettier.

Not also prettier, but also better built. Xperia Z and Samsungs are water-proof, iPhones are not. Samsungs are ugly (plastic feel), but actually much harder to destroy by accidentally dropping (because of that plastic, which amortizes shocks much better than metal) - if a Samsung phone falls onto an edge, there are high chances it survives; not so with iPhone.
Last edited on
closed account (10X9216C)
Now it changed with iPhone 6, which is faster than the competition, but let's wait for the new generation of Android phones (Samsung is going to release something soon for sure, Sony will release Xperia Z3, etc.). We're just before Christmas, lots of vendors will release their new models soon. Typically whoever has the newest hardware, tops in benchmarks.

I'd say that's already the case with tegra k1, haven't heard of any phones that use it yet though, think it's more for tablets. Rapidcoder not defending an apple product? What has this world come to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM

Surprising that the iphone 6 plus is so bendable. Wonder if they knew about this issue and still shipped it anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0&feature=youtu.be

Only confirms what I said. Samsung maybe is not that "stylish" and looks cheap, but actually much harder to destroy.

Oh, and someone said Apple does superior software. Huh, might be, but their QA is lacking:

http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/09/ios-801-released/
Last edited on
Last edited on
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
The reason they changed the charging port was to stop jailbreaking(or make the it slower) cuz the old connector had a flaw in it, i forgot what it was but i had read up on it
closed account (z05DSL3A)
The proprietary interface thing is horrendous, to be fair. No reason (other than to fleece people out of money) for it not to be USB.

"People keep asking why Apple didn’t opt for the micro-USB connector. The answer is simple: that connector isn’t smart enough. It has only 5 pins: +5V, Ground, 2 digital data pins, and a sense pin, so most of the dock connector functions wouldn’t work – only charging and syncing would. Also, the pins are so small that no current plug/connector manufacturer allows the 2A needed for iPad charging." -- Rainer Brockerhoff

Also, the pins are so small that no current plug/connector manufacturer allows the 2A needed for iPad charging."

Android tablets of equal and greater power seem to be doing just fine with micro USB.
most of the dock connector functions wouldn’t work – only charging and syncing would
Sounds like a software design issue.

the 2A needed for iPad charging
Sounds like an electrical design issue.
Even if we assume that it isn't, is there any particular reason not to have a dedicated power plug?

I mean, everyone else seems to be perfectly capable of working around the limitations of USB.
At the time (if I recall correctly) the micro USB was rated at 9 watts and the Lightning connector was at least 12 watts.
I mean, everyone else seems to be perfectly capable of working around the limitations of USB.
Why put up with limitations? I think it is pretty dumb to limit yourself rather than make progress.
Limitations of the interface don't imply limitations of the end points. Hence why I said that everyone works around them, rather than saying that they limit themselves to them.

Change is not progress if you replace a small limitation (whatever stupid thing USB doesn't support) for a larger one (not being able to use USB at all). It's simply a symptom of the inability of Apple to understand the importance of the network effect, and how often an otherwise inferior solution is actually superior simply because it's what everyone else uses. See also: PowerPC, FireWire, mice.
It's simply a symptom of the inability of Apple to understand the importance of the network effect, and how often an otherwise inferior solution is actually superior simply because it's what everyone else uses.
I seem to remember Apple being slagged off for dumping other ports in favour of USB on the iMac because no-one else used it at the time.
That was different. USB is an open standard, apple's proprietary plug not so much.
Cheraphy, my point was to counter the point of Helios about it the network effect. Yes sometimes the sheep mentality has benefits but you also need people to say "not good enough is not good enough". Dose Apple have an inability to understand the network effect? Well they are doing well for themselves so I guess they know what they are doing.

As to USB being an open standard, it doesn't meet my definition of an open standard as I can't use it without inuring costs.
How is that a counterexample? Just because USB would be the right choice now doesn't mean it was the right choice all along. If anything, it's a perfect example of what I'm saying.
Last edited on
closed account (10X9216C)
They are being strong armed to use micro usb in the EU, though all that could mean is apple will just have to ship a lightning -> micro usb adapter with their devices.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12