Cheap or durable hardware

A friend of mine have a razer mouse cost around $50
( I don't know which version it is, perhaps it's razer naga )
He said that it's very durable. he have been using it for like 5 years and the scroll had broke but other than that it's still in ok condition.
My guess is he can probably use that mouse another 2-3 year to come
Let's say that that razer mouse can last 8 years at most.

I myself buy cheap mouse at price around $5 ( Logitech B100 ) which not very durable. Something will went wrong with the mouse every 6-10 months,
assuming that price in my country doesn't change for the next couple of years or just say that I stockpile that mouse.

I would spent around $60 ( 12 mouse ) in 8 years.but it's guaranteed that I have a working mouse in those 8 years.

if I go with razer, I get more feature with lesser price but it can broke anytime.

Which one is a better bet ?
closed account (z0My6Up4)
Better to buy a laptop or cheap netbook, then no need to worry about a mouse
Personally I have always been of the belief of Quality > Quantity or in this case more expensive quality hardware is better then cheaper low quality hardware. I am sure everyone will have different opinions on this but if I were you I would buy the quality mouse instead of a cheap one. Though also be mindful of what you need. Is it really worth buying a expensive gaming mouse if you aren't a gamer? Probably not and you can get by probably with a cheaper quality mouse that isn't built for gaming.

But if you are a gamer I would definitely recommend Razer. Personally my experiences with Razer peripherals has been very good. They always seem to put out good quality peripherals with some very nice features if you are into gaming. I've had my Razer Naga for years now and it is still running strong after all those years with no problems at all, though I did replace it with a new Razer mouse but that wasn't because of a mechanical problem or anything.

Better to buy a laptop or cheap netbook, then no need to worry about a mouse

A trackpad is no where near as good a mouse. If you are doing something active on the computer for a extended period of time the trackpad just gets downright annoying at least for me it does. Not to mention that there is no possible way you can play most games (Obviously certain genres are a exception) on a trackpad.
Last edited on
Netbook is definitly not usable in most cases so laptop > netbooks is a certain thing.

I play games but not very often. I do agree that razer mouse feels better than regular mouse.
though I did replace it with a new Razer mouse but that wasn't because of a mechanical problem or anything.

This is one of my worries as well, changing mouse because I am bored with the design after using it for so long and just want a new one but it feel a waste if it hasn't broke down and also not willing to give it someone else.

Let's talk about keyboard.
I don't see why mechanical keyboard or the so called gaming keyboard is a big plus for gaming, yes you can definitely hit a key for multiple action faster but is every gamer that fast.
I think only those among top players that play MOBA or RTS will need that. FPS player won't even feel it IMO. I could probably hit one key 4 times in membrane keyboard in 1 second which is fast enough for gaming IMO.
My keyboard is AK 300 Armageddon which is a cheap keyboard ( Around $10 ). I changed it from my 1 year old logitech because the switch sometimes feels stiff.
I know why mechanical keyboard is so expensive but I don't know why people are buying them for gaming purposes.
Anyway, what's your keyboard ?
I think this is a false dichotomy, at least as far as mice are concerned. I've been using the same cheap mouse (Logitech M100) for 4-5 years and it still shows no signs of wear. If you're replacing your mouse every six months then look at your usage habits, not at the mouse.

On the same note, this keyboard (Compaq SK-2800) came with my first computer (a Compaq Presario. It looked pretty much exactly like this: http://www.blujay.com/1/512/3541465_s1_i1.jpg Man, what a piece of trash) which my family bought 14 years ago, and it still works like new; the keys aren't even faded. I dread the day it'll finally kick the bucket, so I bought a used Model M to keep in my closet; it's alright, but I still prefer this keyboard.

Personally, I associate the word "gamer" in close proximity to a piece of hardware with "in order to milk your wallet more effectively, we've overdesigned this thing so that it looks like it adds some value, regardless of whether it does. If this is an input device, we've also made sure that the special functions require a specific driver to work, which will ensure they won't work in either unpopular current OSs, or even future popular OSs."
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
In my industry (not related to computer sciences) quality vastly outweighs quantity. Having a piece of cheap hardware (ie. tool or part) break not only incurs the cost of the broken thing itself, but also the labor and any other damages caused by the failure -- not to mention the wrath of the customer that is semi-patiently waiting out front. "Good tools aren't cheap...cheap tools aren't good." (Look for a good warranty with any purchase and you will be fine.)

*It would also be good to note that "performance" != "durable". Many times companies will trick consumers into buying little more than junk that looks cool. We get this all the time with aftermarket parts that are simply stock parts spray painted racing red at triple the price.
Last edited on
SK-2800, that keyboard looks very old,
How can your keyboard still works likes new after more than 10 years of operation ? Astonishing indeed. My previous logitech keyboard works just fine but it's not as good as new. There is perhaps something stuck inside of it or the rubber inside have just wear out in just 1 year and a half after I bought. For slow typist ( 30 WPM or less ) it perhaps doesn't really feel. The key feel heavier than it used to be which sometimes tires me out.
I have felt my friend razer black widow keyboard before. Mechanical keyboard sure feels softer but the click is annoying and the price is mind blowing..

Hmm, how about the logitech washable keyboard. I think that feature is quite useful.
After years of using keyboard I am usually to lazy to clean the inside of the keyboard which is filled with crumbs and hairs. Taking all the key all apart then cleaning the inside. Wash the keys then putting them back together just takes too much time..

Reading previous posts,
I am starting to think that expensive mechanical keyboard is just for showing off ....
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.