Getting started with game programming?

Pages: 12
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
^top ten things to put on your resume
Fredbill30 wrote:
Yes I know. You guys do the work while I just wait. >:D

Careful, that can come across as lazy :o.
Fredbill:

If you've abstracted the interface for it already... you might as well switch to 2.0 now and get the performance boost. If it turns out to be unstable, then you can just switch back to 1.x
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Disch wrote:
If you've abstracted the interface for it already... you might as well switch to 2.0 now and get the performance boost. If it turns out to be unstable, then you can just switch back to 1.x

I agree usually when they hit RC they are pretty much stable except for maybe some rare case bugs. So there is no point is waiting in my opinion. I was using SFML 2.0 while it was a RC for a long time and never ran into any problems.

Release candidates usually are basically the release version in its trial run. If no major bugs arise that they can't fix during that trial run and if the dev's don't decide they want more features added to that version it will be upgraded to full release after a while (Varies on how long).

Plain and simple its the final beta test they do to get testing with the masses after they have already done multiple other beta tests (Usually closed but it can be open also) and intensive internal testing.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I don't know... my game is pretty much very fast already. I'll look into it more.
Good points about SDL 1.x. I read that it uses GDI and xlib back-ends by default on windows and linux.. that's pretty outdated indeed.
@Fredbill30
How do you know how fast it is? How do you know it will continue to be fast when you add more things to it?
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Chrisname is right your game might be running fast right now but what is to say you won't have problems later when you have multiple levels and hundreds of textures and other resources? Might as well port it while it is smaller then porting it while it is larger.

Also have you ran any profiling on your game?
Last edited on
Uhm no. I just added stuff on. (Reply to the profiling question)

Alright Zereo. I'm going to start porting once I finish collision. I had some, but I didn't like it very much.
Last edited on by Fredbill30
to OP

I think you are skipping steps. One doesn't generally go from console to 3d. I suggest start with 2d next.
Last edited on
Wait, he didn't do that already? I thought he has. Anyway I'd recommend SFML/SDL 2.0 to start your journey.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12