My Generation

Pages: 123... 6
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I know I'm not the best example of maturity, but people in my generation really get to me. It's shameful that they make us seem like the worst, they listen to crappy music with no meaning, and do the stupidest things and stuff like that.

One example is what I overheard yesterday in the 4 min intermission between my math and french.

*Some random kid pulls out a rubber glove*
Some Kid : Haha, look at this!
His Friend: Har har it's a condom for when I jack off!
*I shake my head and facepalm*

And just the music they listen to kills me.

What meaning does this song have?

"She had a big booty so I call her big booty."

It just is annoying right?
Your description of "your generation" is the same as every generation.
That sounded like a crappy joke if that was actually a real thing that happened. As to
"She had a big booty so I call her big booty." Most people don't listen to that because they think the lyrics are amazing. They listen to it because of the beat which if like most popular songs is very good. "Party Rock Anthem" was a great example. They also listen to it is cool to them.

Also your response which was
I shake my head and facepalm
is much more cringe worthy than the crappy joke.

If there is anything I am ashamed of it is by many things people post on social networking sites.
Last edited on
Out of curiosity, what do you listen to Fredbill?
Last edited on
Come twenty you're going to be an old man sitting on his porch shaking his fists at all the teenagers walking by.
I don't listen to music much. All I play is music from symphonic band.

No it wasn't a joke.
title wrote:
My Generation

Between which birth years would you consider to be in your generation?

With reference to your example in the hall way: teens (and pre-teens) will always (past, present and future) will always talk about sex and topics do do with the subject. I do not like it either, but I have learned to get used to it.

About the music issue, I believe people who listen to music can be placed into two categories:
1) Those who listen to the beat/rhythm
2) Those who listen to the lyrics
and unfortunately most modern songs with good beats/rhythms have terrible lyrics.
@Script Coder go 70s then baby.
Bee gees, Bill withers, Ray Charles, Early Michael Jackson, Earth Wind and Fire, The Isley brothers, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Eye of the tiger, Full string orchestras and musicians who HAD to know music theory and could play live. Nirvana, Nickleback, Daughtry, Three Days Grace, Linkin Park, Evenesence, Guns and roses, Nas, Wu tang Clan, Tupac Shakur, Krs 1,Immortal technique, eminem, Justin Timberlake. Good music is everywhere you just need to know where to find it. I've never been a pop fan myself, but its called popular music for a reason. And I don't think there is anything wrong with liking "Call me maybe" or "E.T" or "heart attack". But there is something wrong with music telling listeners to bang bang, party, or "die young".
Last edited on
^Exactly. Everybody has seemed to be drawn into it and I don't know why.
and unfortunately most modern songs with good beats/rhythms have terrible lyrics.

Tell me about it...

BABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9E3VR8Fnj0
At least Muse is good - it's a nice change of pace from all the pop songs about boyfriend girlfriend.
Last edited on
Most music these days is horrible.
Tell me about it...

BABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9E3VR8Fnj0 

I counter your BABABAYBABBABYBABYA with....
The real folk blues, one of if not the best anime end theme ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nftxDrStny8
ALitCandle wrote:
They listen to it because of the beat which if like most popular songs is very good.

I never understood what a "beat" was. My understanding of a beat is a beat... in that it distinguishes the tempo of a song. IE: 120 beats-per-minute or something.

So does that mean a faster song has a better beat than a slower song? Does the tempo determine the beat?

Obviously that's not what people mean when they say the song has a good beat. So maybe I don't understand the definition of the word. Or maybe I do, and the people that throw around the term "good beat" have no idea what they're talking about and are just using a cliche to hype up a song they like.

However due to the popularity of the phrase, I will assume I am the one who is failing to understand. So can someone enlighten me? What the hell is a "good beat"?

Is it the tempo? Drums? Bassline? A combination of it? What's an example of a song with a good beat vs. one with a bad beat?
Fredbill30 wrote:
Most music these days is horrible.

Most music of any era is terrible.

There's good and bad in all media... most of it is bad. The trick is finding the stuff that's good.
I never understood what a "beat" was.
 My understanding of a beat is a beat...
 in that it distinguishes the tempo of a song.
 IE: 120 beats-per-minute or something.

So does that mean a faster song has a better beat than a slower song? 
Does the tempo determine the beat?

A beat is a slice of time, discrete in a measure. Discretely there are different tempos and time signatures, the time signature is arbitrary because there can be 2 different interpretations of what IS a beat.

The most standard is Common time 4-4 time, which says that there are are 4 beats each of which is a 4th of a whole Note (duration) long. Music can get quite hypertechnical, if you can discern a pattern then you can detect a beat and a measure. 4-4 time says that the measure (whole note ) is four beats long.

Discrete indeed, it gets even more confusing when you introduce odd time signatures, or time sigs with complex beat patterns. Like 3 notes per beat and 4 beats per measure (12-4 time), the same time signature as Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata mvt 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT7_IZPHHb0

1-2-3 - 1-2-3 - 1-2-3 - 1-2-3

Its funny how Discrete Math is useful for understanding things not directly related to it.

And tempos I don't know much more other than the fact that it is a rate of BPM (beats per minute).
Where each beat takes up 1/BPM time. So it is the average speed at which the music is played, i think, if the lowest unit of time is the beat. Theoretically you can break up beats, in that case it would speedup the average rate of the playing of music.
Last edited on
Yeah but that's not what people are talking about when they say "that dance song has a great beat" because dance songs have an incredibly simplistic and mundane beat.

So there must be some other meaning that you and I are not comprehending.
Perhaps they are talking about the rhythm of the song.
Wrong vocab I guess.
Ah, this reminds me.
http://prntscr.com/1auczk
Last edited on by Fredbill30
Pages: 123... 6