how to create a operating system

so i have been wanting to make a OS but can anyone give some help by telling me were to start and any other info that may help and by the way it is a mobile OS i want to put on a old iPod or phone
Last edited on
Understand concepts like
1.Need for OS.
2.Operations of OS.
3.How does OS perform these operations(what and all tables it maintains to do operations like process management.)
4.Specific details or implementations of semaphores, spinlocks.
5.Reader writer problem, Dining philosophers problem implementations using semaphores, monitors.
6.File management, memory management in detail.
7.start implementing the theoritical things programatically.
8. Assemble all ur implementations togather.
9.you are almost ready with your OS.
9.you are almost ready with your OS.

It is very important to name properly the OS!:)
Last edited on
closed account (zb0S216C)
OS is an acronym that generalises all forms of operating systems. For a reply that will help you, you'll need to need to be specific as to the type of OS. For instance, do you want a general purpose OS like Windows? An OS to control a specific piece of hardware? A real-time OS? A multi-tasking OS? A multi-user OS? A distributed OS?

Wazzak
@vlad:Absolutely!!!:):)
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Get a copy of "The dinosaur book" and start studying.
closed account (3TXyhbRD)
Also study an existing OS (in close detail). UNIX, for example, has all it's source codes (C language) available so you can also see how does "that" look in code.

Good luck!
the best place to get started with os dev is at the wiki http://wiki.osdev.org/Main_Page or at their forums, I have started there, keep in mind that it is hard, you need assembly and then you can add c or c++, also keep in mind that there are no any libs (no stdlib or iostream) you have to create them!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.