reducing memory usage

hello,
i am developing a project in which i have used many classes.
for creating classes i have used the new operator...example, in banana class i have an instance variable of class apples......
in header file (banana.h):
static int counter = 0;
class banana
{
  public:
  apples *ap_obj;//(apple is a class defined another file apples.cpp)
  int *index;

in banana.cpp :
class banana
{
  banana::banana(void)
  {
    ap_obj = new apples;
    index = new int;
    *index = ++counter;
  }
};

my first question is that, is my method correct (there is no run time error) in terms of memory efficiency?

my second question is that, i want to access another banana object in 1 of my methods of banana by using the index (plz note that every banana object has a unique index) variable.
for this i am thinking of using another class registry(because i want to store indexes of many classes's objects).
i am thinking of storing the pointer of 1st object of any class in my registry class.
& for accessing the pointer of any nth object of a class, i plan to use pointer arithmatics on the 1st object using the index variable...example
class registry
{
  banana *base_obj;//this value will be initialised when i create the 1st object of banana class
  banana *registry::get_nth_object(int shift);
  {
    return *(base_obj + shift);//shift is the index variable of banana class
  }
};

i want to use this get_nth_object in any class & do not want to go out of scope...hence the use of pointers

hope you people will realise this.
if there is any other efficient way of doing this by saving memory & run 'time'....then plz do tell me.

thanks a lot for reading my post :)
Last edited on
I'm surprised that doesn't crash the program. banana::index isn't made to point to anywhere, so *index=foo should fail.

As for the registry class, what is the advantage of using it over regular pointers, at least for the purpose of accessing an arbitrary banana?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.