int n = data;
  char *token;
  const char delimiters[] =" \t"; 
  *token = strtok(records.at(n), delimiters);
	     while (token!=NULL) 
		 {   
			 token = strtok(NULL, delimiters);
	      }

however the strtok function gives me an error: "A value of type char * can't be assigned to an entity of type char", It supposes that my vector stores data of type char*, but I am very confused with pointers, I've tried to use std::string instead but they I do know how to convert it to char * to use in strtok function. I want to keep it as simple as possible since i'll be processing many thousands of records. Thank you in advance for your help.
First of all, strtok modifies the first parameter by replacing the token with a null byte! Therefore, you can use strtok with C++! You want to use find() or find_first_of() instead.
You are doing this incorrectly. buff is a buffer in the stack. You are pushing a pointer to this buffer, but this buffer will disappear once it is out of scope. Use vector<std::string> instead. Also use strtok_s(), although that one might be Microsoft-specific?? See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ftsafwz3(VS.80).aspx.

As kooth stated, strtok() modifies the input string. If you want your strings untouched you must create copies. Besides, std::string::c_str() is const, so you shouldn't use this directly.
You should use a split function for this kind of thing. If you don't want to write your own, boost has one:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_46_1/doc/html/string_algo/usage.html#id2728530
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.