Callback vs callable object vs function

I'm rather confused about terminology.

I think a callback and a callable object are exactly the same thing and they're used like f in STL algorithms (or our own algorithm) when f is:
a regular function or
a pointer to function or
pointer to member function or
functor or
lambda expression or
std::function

Am I wrong?
Last edited on
first, these are concepts, not precisely c++ specific syntax or tools. For that reason implementation details can vary, eg a functor could override [] instead of () if there were a reason (dealing with arrays/vectors perhaps) that made more sense to do so.

a callable object is what some call a functor .. its an object that acts like a function, really, and its class members generally track some sort of state (even as simple as total # of calls to it) that is important over time; a solid example is a random number generator object that overloads () to return the next value.

a callback is a placeholder in a generic function where the user provides part of the functionality. it can default to do nothing if not provided or be required; an example is standard sort where you have the option to provide a comparison function.

BECAUSE a functor looks like a function, you CAN have your callback function BE a functor. This sort of thing is why I had the preamble that its conceptual terminology more than c++ specific... these are things most OOP languages can do but the implementations vary and c++ being c++, it varies a fair bit within c++ as well.
Last edited on
A callable is anything that has an operator(). It could be an object, a function, or a function pointer.
A callback is a general mechanism to modify the behavior of a function or to receive messages from a function that involves passing as a parameter to the function something that the function can call (back) to momentarily return control back to the caller.

A callback is always something you pass to a function. A callable could be used in ways other than as a parameter. For example, you could have a vector of functors that are supposed to be called in succession, or a function could return an std::function that the caller can call at its convenience:
class WeatherApi{
public:
    std::function<float()> get_temperature_interface();
};

//...

//get_temp is not a callback!
auto get_temp = api.get_temperature_interface();
while (true){
    std::cout << get_temp() << std::endl;
    sleep(1000);
}
A callable is anything that has an operator(). It could be an object, a function, or a function pointer.
Or a lambda expression

So a callback is actually the name of a callable when it appears for that purpose as an argument of another callable. Right?
Lambda expressions are not callable, they evaluate to lambda objects, which are themselves callable. Note that the type of the lambda object is unspecified.

So a callback is actually the name of a callable when it appears for that purpose as an argument of another callable. Right?
I avoided using the word "callable" in my definition of callback because "callable" is a C++ concept, but callbacks are used in basically every language. But if we're talking just about C++, the callback is the callable that is passed, not its name.
void foo(const std::function<void()> &cb);

foo([](){ std::cout << "hello"; });
The callback is [](){ std::cout << "hello"; }, not cb.
Last edited on
Can we say a lambda object is a callable?

I said ... as an argument ..., i,e, when it's used as an argument in a call. So a callback is actually the name of a callable, or a lambda expression, when it appears for that purpose as an argument of another callable.
Still not right?
In my previous example, the callback is a lambda and thus has no name. There's a reference to it and its name is cb, but cb is not the callback, it's a reference to the callback, just like how here
void foo(int &x){
}
x is not the number, it's a reference to the number. Even if you're not passing a lambda, remember that when you pass by reference there may be more than one name that refers to the same object.
void foo(SomeFunctor &bar){
    bar();
}

auto snafu = std::make_unique<SomeFunctor>();
foo(*snafu);
What's the callback's name? Is it snafu or bar? The answer is neither. Objects don't have names. Locals, globals, and members have names. bar is a local parameter that points to a callback, and snafu is a local smart pointer that points to an object that's about to be used as a callback.
OK, thank you very much.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.