WPA2 Handshake extract hash value?

Hello there,

i recently wrote some lines of C++ code to read in wordlists, to chunk them up into smaller ones and to crack a hash value by calculating and comparing each the hash for the word in the list in multiple threads for educational purpose only.
Then i asked myself wheather i could also try to crack WPA Handshakes.
So i sniffed on my (OWN) network and captured one in aircracks .cap format. Then i went and executed

aircrack-ng -J hash.hccap handshake.cap

to convert this into a hashcat readable format, because i wanted to extract the hash of that Handshake to be able to crack it with my own library.
i found this information at hashcats wiki ( https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=hccap ):

HCCAP C-Structure:
typedef struct
{
  char          essid[36];

unsigned char mac1[6];
  unsigned char mac2[6];
  unsigned char nonce1[32];
  unsigned char nonce2[32];

unsigned char eapol[256];
  int           eapol_size;

int           keyver;
  unsigned char keymic[16];

} hccap_t;

and i quickly read in a hccap_t struct from the hccap file.
Theres a table too which tells about the particular Attribures.

After having read this doe, i wanted to get the Attribute "keymic", cause the desription said:

keymic : the final hash value. MD5 for WPA and SHA-1 for WPA2

i calculated the sha1 hash of my wifis pass and compared it to that hash val (examples):

900150983cd24fb0d6963f7d28e17f72 != 37029430cfd06ae2a279cc1e2504e7c3

After quick research i realized that WPA2 cracking is more likely a big deal than i thought such as calculating Nonces and PMKs/PTKs and 2 salts.

So in general i just wanna know what to calculate together to be able to crack it my way.

Do i need to calc the (Password + salt1 + salt2) to get the value "keymic" or what is the correct formula?

Thank you all very much in advance

Luke
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.