Inheritance doubt

Hi there,

I need to build a class that the user should be able to use as a Gtk::Widget (basically to put it inside of a window). Let's say that for building my widget I'll need it to be a Gtk::VBox, which also inherits from Gtk::Widget.

Now, I could inherit my new class directly from Gtk::VBox, the user would then be able to use it just like a Gtk::Widget, and I would be able to make my implementation without a lot of trouble. The problem with this is that the user would be able to use public members of Gtk::VBox, but I don't want him to!
class MyClass : public Gtk::VBox {
}; // Oh my! The end-user could use MyClass like a Gtk::VBox!

My ideal solution would be:
- MyClass inherits from Gtk::Widget (public) : the end-user can therefore use MyClass just like a Gtk::Widget.
- MyClass ingerits from Gtk::VBox (private) : the end-user cannot use methods from Gtk::VBox.
- For a MyClass object there have to be one and only one instance of Gtk::Widget

So, reminding something about virtual classes, the basic idea would have been:
class MyClass : public virtual Gtk::Widget, private Gtk::VBox {
};

Another concern that blows my mind is about the implementation of Gtk::VBox : it does inherit from Gtk::Widget in a public fashion (i.e. not virtually). As a consequence I don't think the solution I come up with would work at all.

What do you think about?

EDIT: I forgot something: the Gtk::Widget object the user is referring to when using an instance of MyClass has to be the same which Gtk::VBox inherits from! (that's why I've put virtual there)
Last edited on
Why do you want to hide the VBox interface?
What should your widget do?
Why do you want to hide the VBox interface?

I don't want the user to be able to call methods of Gtk::VBox, like Gtk::VBox::insert() and so on. I'd like my widget to be a ready-to-use and unmodifiable one.

What should your widget do?

Well actually it's a status box for a usb device, but this is not the point.

My real concern is about the language: is it possible do do such a thing?
I mean, what should it do with the stuff inherited from the VBox?
private / protected inheritance can be avoided if you use a VBox member
Well, Gtk::VBox is a vertical box which acts as a container for widgets, basically I'll instantiate some widgets (members of MyClass) and add them to this one.

I don't think it is possible for Gtk::VBox to be a member in this case: the user has to be able of referring to a MyClass object as if he was referring to a Gtk::Widget (the same Gtk::Widget from which Gtk::VBox inherits), there must be some hierarchical relationship, mustn't it?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.