How Do I Create A Function That Randomly Chooses Array Location?

Hey all, So currently, I am trying to create a bool function, passing in two-dimensional array. I am trying to make it so that this function will generate a random row/ column position and then attempt to place an enum at that row-column position on the board. However, I am really stuck on what to do. I have my arrays and my random number generator, but I don't know how to go about combining them to place data inside random arrays without repeating them.

// How do I generate a random position here and add data, then 
//return (true or false) so that if it is false (There is already data in that position),
// randomize location again and try to place data on that position

//numberOfMines is user input so that it will only try to put data x amount of time 
//(between 5-10)

bool checkMine(Symbols symbolArr[][COLS], int size, int numberOfMines);
{
      srand(time(NULL));

}

I'm not even sure where to get started. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited on
Here is my code, in the second function I assign the two variables RowNumber and ColumnNumber (Which are assigned random numbers each time the first function is called) to a string array's dimension parameters, I return this value to be dispayed in the main function. This outputs a different value stored in the two-dimensional each time these two functions are called again.

void Cards::setRandomNumbers() {

int randomNumber = rand(); // Generate random number between 0 and 65355
	RowNumber = randomNumber % 4; // Get Array index (0-3) , divide //randomberNumber and get remainder

ColumnNumber = randomNumber % 13;// Array index(0 - 12), divide randomNumber and //get remainder

}

string Cards ::returnRandomNamedCard() 
{
	return cardNames[RowNumber][ColumnNumber];

}

the reason you are seeing Cards:: is because I am programming in the OOP paradigm and using header/cpp files.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.