Tinkering with some project ideas, would love feedback and suggestions

So in my computer graphics course I have a project offer to hand in soon and I've had a few ideas but from where I stand its hard to see what is the difficulty level or time required to do them. That's why I'm asking here :)

So the first idea is a near-light-speed simulator, in which I expect some ray casting implications such as buildings twisting and turning as you approach the light speed as well as colors changing.

Second idea is about taking some old 2D game and turning it into a 3D one. I'm not so sure how hard it is to import the location of objects from the code of games like Pokemon or Legend of Zelda so I might make a simple one to be able to work with.

Last idea is making a simulation of galaxies colliding, as physically accurate as possible.

So I need to hand an offer in very soon and I'm afraid to commit to something too hard or get the offers rejected. Any advice will be appreciated, including other ideas :)
Last edited on
The problems I see with galaxies colliding is that every near miss changes the trajectory of those objects and every collision could create millions plus new objects.

The problem with taking an old game is that you may not have the source code for those games. You might want to do a search to see if you can find code available before you choose this one.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think an image processing solution could solve the problem of code not being open? Because I assume simple games have no more then a few hundred possible object images could be ideal for matching algorithms, not so sure if that would complicate the run time too much..
So the first idea is a near-light-speed simulator, in which I expect some ray casting implications such as buildings twisting and turning as you approach the light speed as well as colors changing.

Some folks at MIT wrote a simple game that sounds similar -- I took a look at it briefly a few years ago.
Here it is:
http://gamelab.mit.edu/games/a-slower-speed-of-light/
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.