Your opion on C++ Compilers

Pages: 12
Im just wondering what other compilers are out there that are pretty good.

Right now im using Dev-C++ Bloodshed, which is vary's from my personal

experince. But I know that Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 sucks, so if anyone know a

compiler that does not fail at correctly implementing C++ in important ways, it

would really help me and furture programmers which compiler to use or not use
what i can suggest for you is that never use Quincy for your c++ compiler.
it can crash at anytime. :(
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Visual C++ 2008 is very good, and Visual C++ 2010 is coming out very soon. I'm testing Visual Studio 2010, and it is the best development environment I have every used. The compiler is fast, compliant, and Microsoft's debugger is bar none the most powerful debuggers I've ever used.

The Gnu C++ compiler, the g++ front end to gcc, is also very good and is compatible with alot of free open source IDEs like Eclipse, Netbeans, and Code::Blocks. It is also very compliant from my experience, but the code it generates tends to be a little bloated compared to the Microsoft Compiler.

If you want to use g++ in Windows, I suggest downloading the tdm-mingw port, as it is more up to date than the straight mingw and extremely easy to install and get to work.

I've also heard that Comeau C++ is very good, and compliant, but I've never used it myself.
VC++, wxDev, Eclipse, Code::Blocks are all good. I'd strongly advise that you focus on using one of the main compilers because the other ones are relatively unsupported or unrecognized, and often out of date. (Dev is one of those, it stopped being updated a really long way back.)
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/7263/
Besides, VC++ 6 is ancient. So no surprise, really.
Last edited on
just to be clear here. Dev C++, Eclipse or Code::Blocks, are not compilers.

though Dev C++ and Code::Blocks use MingW as its compiler, personally i use Code::Blocks with Mingw. i also like VC++
I will second darkestfright's suggestion about Microsoft Visual C++ 2010. I personally use Kdevelop/GCC on Linux most of the time, but VS C++ 2010 is pretty nice if you prefer Windows and the express edition is freely available.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I use code::blocks all around. I've recently found it to be a bit messy though so I might switch to something else like KDevelop.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Back in the day KDevelop3 was IMO, the best IDE around...but of course, it hasn't been updated in forever so it's behind the times. KDevelop4 is coming out soon(it's currently in 7th beta stage), so hopefully it will live up to the legacy.
I use gedit and GNOME Terminal with GNU binutils (the GCC, + make, etc.).
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
If I were to go with a setup like that, I'd go with Scite since it has more immediate features for developers. That's just me though...
Last edited on
I use the same as chrisname in Linux(g++, gedit and binutils) in Windows I will be switching to Visual C++ 2008, because I was too stupid to Google it until computerquip reminded me.
Linux with g++ and gedit. I haven't had to use anything else. Of course, the only IDE that worked for me was code::blocks so that's the one I have to support as an IDE
VC++ 08 on my laptop (haven't checked out 10 beta yet). Unfortunately my school's unix server only has C libs on it so I can't use g++...
notepad++ and a custom compiler built off the GNU compiler suite source codes. I added some functionalities that arent standard that I often had to deal with excruciatingly when I was using the straight up GNU computers... Not much of a difference mind you, Just some tweaks here and there.
I've changed my method to a far more awesome one, using cat.

I made a video (and spent a great deal of time doing so, bearing in mind how long it took me to find a video recorder, something to convert .ogv files to .avi files AND a video editor (plus learning how to use all three)), but I can't edit it, so you'll have to go without.

Instead, here is how it works. Stuff in bold is my input, stuff in italics is output:
$ cat >hello.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void) {
    printf("Hello world!");

return 0;
}^C

$ cat hello.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void) {
    printf("Hello world!");

return 0;
}

Here's how that would look if I didn't redirect cat's output to hello.c:
$ cat
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void) {
int main(void) {
    printf("Hello world!");
    printf("Hello world!");

return 0;
    return 0;
}
}^C

^C represents CTRL-C which sends SIGTERM to a process to kill it.
Last edited on
Why don't you just send a much friendlier ^D (end of input)?
EOF? Didn't work for some reason. I use that for at, though. Anyway, EOF doesn't close the program, so I send SIGTERM >:)

Now quiet, before I do a kill -SIGABRT Duoas.
Last edited on
I personally use just whatever fancy text editor is on hand (gEdit, Notepad++, etc.) and g++. It gets the job done neatly and most of the time g++'s error messages are easy to understand.
Yeah, personally I have no need for all these IDEs...
Yeah, why would anyone want convenience when you can just be a software amish?
Pages: 12