C++ Library Download ?

Hi. I'm new to this community, if you don't recognize me. I just quit using Visual Studio because it is cumbersome and it had an error with not compiling a solution, even though it said it did. It also doesn't offer support for other platforms. I just downloaded a C++ compiler (NOT an IDE) to just create my own stuff in notepad and compile. Allthough, my compiler is giving me an error saying that I don't have the file called 'iostream', which I know comes native with C++ (or is supposed to). Is there any way I can download at least some if not all of the native C++ libraries?

Thanks, Daniel.
Last edited on
I'd search your drive first for "ionstream"
Does anyone know how the IDEs do it, or if I can extract the libraries from the IDEs?

@SamuelAdams I did do that, I also searched my documents folder for something. There were tons of files in my docs folder, but they all included the real iostream file.

There's only one potential file that includes both istream and ostream. Does anyone know if the real iostream file includes both of those?

EDIT: I downloaded a library called boost. All my files that im getting from the searches come from there. Does anyone know if boost comes with the native C++ or does it rely on it?
Last edited on
NOTE: This is essential to me moving forward on any of my projects.

ANY help would be taken gratefully.
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
What is an IDE?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment
Please show a small complete program that you're trying to compile and the commands you're trying to use to compile that program. Also what compiler did you download and install?

Edit: What exactly was wrong with the Visual C++? What version of the compiler and operating system were you using?
Last edited on
@FurryGuy By IDE, I was specifically reffering to Visual Studio. Sorry.

NOTE: The program isn't complete, but it is compilable. With Visual Studio, my (console) project just stopped compiling. I access the compiled product in the first Debug folder, and there's an EXE file. I ran, edited my program, and repeated (like you normally would). Then, all the sudden, it stopped compiling. It said it completed, but the EXE file wasn't changing. I created a new project also in hope that I could make it multi-platform compilable, created new files and copy-pasted the code, and IT DIDN'T PRODUCE AN EXE FILE. I went back, created another CONSOLE proj, copy-pasted, and it still didn't produce. I was sick of this so I downloaded my own compiler (LLVM, http://llvm.org/releases/download.html ). This compiler was complaining that I didn't have the 'iostream' C++ standard file (it was the first included file). I've also tried to download the GNU GPP library, but I had no success finding the files I was calling / needed.

So Again: any help would be great.
With Visual Studio sometimes it helps just to delete the debug and release folder and do a complete re-build.

I also searched my documents folder for something. There were tons of files in my docs folder

Normally the include files and lib files that come with a compiler are in a sub folder where there compiler is installed.
Lets say your compiler is installed in C:\Program Files\LLVM then you should find a folder like
C:\Program Files\LLVM\INCLUDE. Have a look there.
Also check that the path variable in windows is set properly. If neccesary add the include folder to it.
Actually, Visual Studio is working again :).

Thanks for all the help.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.