The Next Step

closed account (4iT0M4Gy)
I started learning c++ because I wanted to be able to create video games that did not require any programs but a base operating system to run. I have now finished the tutorials on this website and have created an ascii text game.

Can someone please tell me where to go from here? I would like to learn how to make actual graphics and get input from the mouse, but I'm not sure if there is something I need to learn before that.
I'd suggest you look into SDL or SFML. They are libraries used for what you're interested in doing.
closed account (4iT0M4Gy)
SFML seems to have some friendly tutorials on their website so I'm leaning towards that, is there any reason I would want to just learn OpenGL directly?
That's kind of a loaded question, and I'd bet if you asked a bunch of different people, you'd get a bunch of different answers. Not knowing you or your skill level at all, here's my advice.

If you like the looks of SFML give it a try. I haven't used it myself, but it looks good to me. Follow the tutorials and make a simple game like pong or frogger or space invaders--whatever sounds fun to you. Learn the basics of game programming like how to make a game loop, how to handle input, collision detection, etc...

After that, expand you skills and make a scrolling game of some kind, be it platformer or other. Learn how to use a tilemap and other things.

At this point you should be much more comfortable with game programming in general and you can start looking into openGL if you want. And, SFML will give you a window with an openGL context, which you'll already know from your previous projects.

Doing all the above exercises should ease some of the burden of the learning curve of making OpenGL games.

Just my two cents.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.