Need a direction from you guys.

closed account (1vD3vCM9)
First of all, English isn't my native language, so expect some grammer errors.

I wanted to develop a chat program, but I don't want a simple one, I want to make a chat program like so:

FEATURES:
* Server is admin
* Client picks a username
* admin can see the client's username, change it, kick him, view his IP, ban him
* Database (MAYBE)
* client can send messages and recive messages from the server.

OBVIOUSLY it's going to be very hard to develop, and it's aiming to the stars,
I don't know if i want to do it with the Windows API, or with SDL.
Anyhow i'll need to learn them both somehow.

What do you guys recommend?
What network guide/SDL guide/Windows API Guide do you recommend?
I'm alone on this project. ;_;

Please don't send messages like "Don't do it" or "It's impossible" or "are you insane?"

Thanks, Oren.
Last edited on
You should definitely use SFML for networking. Its fast simple and easy to implement. I have used it for the same purpose you want to use it for. If you need any further assistance then don't hesitate to contact me.
Last edited on
I tried using SFML, i gave up on it..
Yes, please guide me through it, is there a guide/book on it?
There are books available on SFML although they were of no use to me. I used the tutorials and the API documentations and a little bit of practice. And sure I would love to guide you through it.
If you have steam, add me: Mr_Oren
my email: orendr750000@gmail.com
I have Skype & Gmail
I have problems setting up sfml.
Can you help?
I use VS 2015
my include library is directed to the include in SFML folder
my lib library is directed to the lib in SFML folder

linker:
sfml-main-d.lib
sfml-window-d.lib
sfml-system-d.lib
sfml-graphics-d.lib

it builds to x86 (32 bit)

I get this error:
1>------ Build started: Project: SFML Sandbox, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall sf::IpAddress::IpAddress(void)" (__imp_??0IpAddress@sf@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function _main
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall sf::IpAddress::IpAddress(char const *)" (__imp_??0IpAddress@sf@@QAE@PBD@Z) referenced in function _main
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall sf::IpAddress::IpAddress(unsigned char,unsigned char,unsigned char,unsigned char)" (__imp_??0IpAddress@sf@@QAE@EEEE@Z) referenced in function _main
1>main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: static class sf::IpAddress const sf::IpAddress::LocalHost" (__imp_?LocalHost@IpAddress@sf@@2V12@B)
First of all you were including the SFML static macro. You should not include it for the current settings.

Secondly are you placing the .dll files that are in the bin where your debug executable is. And I sent you snapshots to help you are they of any help?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.