What is application domain?

Hi, im reading B. Stroustrup's "Programming principles and practice using C++" and im trying to do all the exercises and also review questions. Now i just cant find any good answer to question "What is application domain?"

Could anyone explain me on basic level what should i understand with this in programming?
You might want to re-read chapter 14.1 Design principles

Application domain is an area of expertise of your program/library/whatever: what it does.
For example quote from C++ Programming language:
C++ is a general-purpose programming language; its core application domain is systems programming
in the broadest sense.
Good example of program with restricted and clearly defined domain is Linux utilities: grep searches for patterns in files, wget gownloads files, ls displays content of directory, etc.

Another examples: WinRAR domain is manipulation of compressed files; Mathematica, MathCAD and Maple's are mathematical calculations. The <cmath> library domain is mathematical calculation too, but it is more narrow.
Last edited on
Thanks man, i will do that. Did u also started out by reading this book? If so what is the next books you were reading. I see that you are very smart about this stuff so would be cool to know what books did u read.
Now im thinking that next i will read B. Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language, 4th Edition",
after that "Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs (3rd Edition)",
than "C++ Concurrency in Action: Practical Multithreading".
What do u think about this? Would be really cool to know what books are in your home library :)
That book was not written when I started.
All books you mentioned are good. Additionally I would suggest to read C++ Coding Standards: 101 Rules, Guidelines, and Best Practices before Meyers book. You can also add all other Effective books to the list.

This list can help you too: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
Last edited on
Thank you very much for your help man, really appreciate it :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.