First program hello world error .

Hi, I'm new to c++ and I'm in the process of learning c++, i used VS2010 a few months back and all my projects where running fine and i have just installed VS2010 last night.The problem I'm having now is that as soon as i started my new console app project i try to debug and run it without typing in any code whatsoever (it's the basic hello world program on there atm).

Anyway i get a load of errors and i can't do anything about them any help would be appreciated thanks.

ERRORS.1>------ Build started: Project: deeks87, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I also get this right at point of build.>>>>>> "there where build errors would you like to build the last successful build?" I click yes and then this >>>>

"unable to start program c/users/cdeeks/Documents/Visual studios 2010/Projects/
deeks87/Debug/deeks87.exe"

Sorry if this is a noob ? but i'm like day one week one atm lol.

It's not a Noob issue so don't worry there.

Your problem is in the setup of your development environment itself. Try creating a test project from scratch. Make it a console application and make it an empty project (no pre-compiled headers). Then run your "Hello World" program from there and see if it works. The conversion to COFF kind of tells me that there are some funny project settings in your current project.
Thanks that seems to work out OK, however once i select build i get a box that comes up and says this is out of date! Is this normal? as i never used to get such a warning especially on such a simple program like hello world.
That's what happens when you change code and then hit debug (F5). Just accept the prompt to build. The other option if you are not using the internal debugger is to hit CTRL+F5 to build & run. F7 will build without running it. F7 then F5 will also avoid the warning.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.