While loop wont end

I've been trying to make a simple console game, and for whatever reason a while loop broke on me. I could swear this is the same code that was working ten minutes earlier.

cout << "Are you a male or female?: ";
	cin >> sex;
	while(sex != "male" || "Male" || "MALE" || "female" || "Female" || "FEMALE")
	{
		cout << "I'm sorry, my hearing must be leaving me. Could you repeat that?" << endl;
		cin >> sex;
	}

For the life of me I can't figure out why this quit working. If i change it to
	cin >> sex;
	while(sex != "male")
	{
		cout << "I'm sorry, my hearing must be leaving me. Could you repeat that?" << endl;
		cin >> sex;
	}

it executes properly, but then the program doesn't do the desired task.

Thanks in advance.
while( (sex != "male") || (sex !="Male") || (sex !="MALE") //...
In addition this will work only if sex is std::string!
Last edited on
@KatuXiK

I don't think it is necessary to try and allow for every possible combination of input.

Most people would ask for M or F or T (if you wanted to allow for trans-gender)

So you can use the toupper function to convert to upper case, then use a switch statement to carry out the appropriate action. Put a default: clause in to catch any bad input.

Don't forget to look at the reference section at the top left of this page.

Hope all goes well.
@MiiNiPaa

I have the string defined, and it was working before, but for some reason the loops just runs continually.

@TheIdeasMan

Alright, what I got out of your post is that I need to look up "toupper" and "default: clause" haha. I'll check the references, thanks.

Really what I'm doing is just setting up a project so I can learn as I go, when I want the program to do something I don't know how to do, I'll figure it out! Thing is, I thought I knew how to do this haha.
You will find the default clause under "switch" in the control section of the tutorial.

Alternatively just Google these - will probably take you to the same place:

C++ switch

C++ toupper

cppreference is a good site too.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.