Input data file location for Microsoft Vis C++ 2010

I have experienced a change of location directory where data files must reside in MSVS2010 Express. Previously they had to be in the debug directory under the project folder. Now it appears that they need to be in the project name folder under the top level project folder. Question: is there a setting somewhere that specifies where the input data files must reside for the executable to find them?
They need to be in whatever directory the executable you're running resides in unless you provide the path in the code.
Hello iHutch105, I appreciate your response. For the previous college semester on the machines in the lab, and on my home system, we put the data file in the debug folder where the executable is located. This semester, programs give an error message that says 'file can not be found' unless the data file is in the project name folder where the cpp is located. This was a surprise. That is the reason for asking if there is a directory path setting somewhere that a user can change to determine default location of the data file. For the time being, I am just putting the data file in both folders.
In the left pane, right click you solution name > Properties > VC++ Directories.

Try to include the directory there. I don't mind using the code.cpp folder for extra files. Because, once you have compiled it, if you move the .exe file, you can just put extra files with it, with no change to code.

i.e.
Compile the program.
move the .exe to another folder.
Copy all needed files to the same directory.
Thank you Lynx876 for your help. I went there and became even more confused than before. Got my system somewhat bolluxed up. Due to time constraints and lack of knowledge, I think my best bet is to drop this for now and re-visit next summer post-semester. Signing off.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.